1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allo, I'm new, as you can see~

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by VonGod, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

WOW! Looks ALOT better!
    Make sure you put a rock or something in that dish to make sure the smaller guys can get out, do you have a humidity gauge? you shouldn't need to mist every day, especially with that much damp EE in your tank.
    If you DO have one, make sure it is calibrated there is a sticky for it at the top of this forum.
    But I'd say get yourself a few more spare shells and your good to go ;)

2. VonGod

VonGod Hi, I'm New Here!

I was only misting everyday beause of the lightbulb.
    I now have a real lightbulb in there, so I won't mist as much.
    How often do you think I should do so?

And, the hermit crabs are all big enough to beable to get in and out of there. c:

I dunno where to put all the shells. xD
    But, I shall get a few more. I bought one today when I got the new lightbulb actually.

I'll take pictures of stuff in pet shops that are hermit cxrab related, that I'm thinking of getting, and I'll post here to see if it's alright.

I'll check the thread to see about the humidity gauge, but I need to sticky velcro things first. The humidity gauge kept falling off. I also still need to grab a thermometre, and on Thursday my friend is bying the night glo bulb. : D

By the way, would sweetened coconut be bad for the hermit crabs?

3. cloie74

If your substrate is moist and you have both water dishes in there that should be enough humidity, if you notice the top layer of substrate getting dry you can spray it with luke warm purified salt water.
    But if your misting everyday chances are your misting too much.
    leave your humidity gauge in the tank prop it up on something, they cant eat it, but you do need it in there but make sure it is calibrated first.
    As for Shells you can buy the little baskets that suction cup to the sides of the tank, like the little shower caddy things...they are great for moss pits and shell shops inside the tank as long as you have a way for your crab to get up to them.

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Sweetened coconut is bad, but non-sweetened is fine. Any of the nuts and dried fruits in the baking aisle whose ingredients don't include sweeteners, salt, or chemicals are safe and my guys love them!

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Mine do to! i mde them my own "Commercial food" with a mix of sesame seeds and unslted sunflowers seeds and peanuts and ll sorts of stuff so they're getting lipids and fats and proteins etc.

6. VonGod

VonGod Hi, I'm New Here!

I have another new crab, I wanted to get it to see if it could go in the tank with the others. Not sure if it can though, it looks different.

7. cloie74

Hermit crabs can all live together in the same tank, PP's are the easiest of the species to take care of while Strawberry crabs are a little more sensitive to their environment. E's are pretty easy going i hear. Post a pic it may be a PP just with different cooring than you are used to seeing.
    You should ISO a new crab to be sure it does not have mites and such and also to let it destress without your crabs bugging it.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome to HCRU!

9. VonGod

VonGod Hi, I'm New Here!

10. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

From what I can see (pictures are blurry, so it's a bit hard to ID), it looks like an Ecuadorian crab. They have eyestalks shaped like candy corns with long eyes, as opposed to Purple Pinchers, who have circular eyestalks and comma shaped eyes.

They can be in the same tank as PPs (I have 4 of each in my tank), but are a lot more active - be careful if you handle them as they move much more quickly (easier to drop because they run right off your hands). They tend to prefer shells with D shaped openings as opposed to PPs who prefer O shaped openings. I hesitate to say that as my Es are all in turbo shells, whereas I only have 2 of my 4 PPs in turbos, which they're supposed to love. Es also need (moreso than PPs) to have an ocean water source made from a quality salt water aquarium salt mix as opposed to any of the 'hermit crab salt' rubbish. They get into their salt water much more often than PPs do, or so I've noticed. They're the only ones I usually see in the salt dish.

Congrats on the E!

11. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Welcome!! :D Sorry I took so long to say hi!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.