1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

allergy? HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Kriston, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kriston

Kriston Hi, I'm New Here!

I certainly hope that I'm not allergic to our crabs! Friday evening we noticed mites in our crabitat, so I immediately went to buy new playsand. I boiled my "toys", and bathed my crabs; first in crab saltwater then flushed them with fresh spring water to get any mites off as suggested in this forum. Anyhow, when I woke up on Saturday, I was completely covered in hives. My husband and I eliminated any possible allergies. No new soap detergent or new foods in the past 48 hours. I went to the care center on Saturday and received two injections, one of steriod and one of benadryl. I continued to be miserable throughout the day Saturday and woke this morning looking and feeling even worse, I went back to the care center and received more injections. The dr. said that it is an allergic reaction to something but offered no further information. My questions are...
    1. Has anyone ever heard of those nasty crab mites getting under the skin of humans?
    2. Has anyone ever had this type of reaction after cleaning out their crabitat?

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I haven't heard of anyone being allergic to hermit crabs, not that it's impossible, I guess. I agree the bugs are a possibility, or maybe something else that was in the sand? I am so sorry! I found out the hard way that I developed an allergy to milk and had to go through both the misery of the hives and ultimately a steroid shot to get them to go away. No fun! But I *used* to be able to drink milk with no problems, but hadn't had any in a while. Based on a later outbreak after drinking it a second time, I am sure that milk was the trigger. So consider any foods you might have had for the first time in a while too.

3. Kriston

Kriston Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you for the info. I finished my steroids today and am going to have allergy tests soon. The good news is that it has been one week since I cleaned my crabitat and there are still no mites!!!! I think that I am lucky enough to have beat those nasty buggers! I really don't think that the mites were on my crabs, just all of their toys and food dish. Thanks again, Kriston

4. hermiesRcool

hermiesRcool Hi, I'm New Here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.