1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All my hermies are up!!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Mommyof2, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Mommyof2

Mommyof2 Hi, I'm New Here!

:woohoo: :spunky: :hermez2: 

Can't you tell I am excited that they all came up from molting!  They look better than ever, but are upset with me for rearranging their tank once I knew they were all up.  I hope to be able to get some new pictures soon :)

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:straw:  Congrats!!

3. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

awesome! :kellie: :shmama: :banana: :spunky:

4. :cheer:  I'm glad all your  :straw: made it through their molt.

5. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

Hello everyone, been gone a while, but I have a question. I just returned from the beach and brought back a barnacle. Is this safe to put in with my crabs for them to crawl on and maybe explore and eat? Thanks.

6. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

if can be boiled in their type of water then maybe?? I'm not sure there is so much polution on the beach and the water anymore it could make them sick.. wait til viki or some one chimes in or p.m. one of them if ya don't an  answer.
    I had to go looking for my last hermit it had been a long time since he had been up, longer than normal. I found him his tunnle/ air pocket was colapsed and packed down a pit, he was face down. I just thought great dead crab! but I didn't have that dead smell. I took him out, bathed him to get the e.e. off him that packed in his shell and sat in on the corner shelf and just waited, 10 min later he moved and 4 days later he doing fine!

7. DEBBIE

Thanks scobbdoo, maybe Vicki will "chime in later today". Have a good one.

8. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Do they grow barnacles to sell or do they find them all in the wild. If they do just get them from the ocean then I dont see why you couldnt just boil it for a while to be safe but Vicki will know. Just given my input.

9. DEBBIE

Trixie, this was laying on the beach when the tide went out. so it was "from the wild". Thanks.

On another subject, last night I found one of my pp's in the salt water dish without his shell. I iso'd him and this morning he is in a shell and is moving when I pick it up to check on him. Now what do I do? Put him back in with others? Any suggestions?

10. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I would keep him in iso for a couple days to make sure he is ok.

11. DEBBIE

Thanks trixie, thats probably the best thing to do. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

12. DEBBIE

Well, so far the pp that was out of his shell found one to go into. I still have him in iso but he did come out and look around for a little while this morning and he has been drinking. He seems to have a little more energy now. Any thoughts on how long to keep him in iso?

Debbie

13. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hi Debbie, I've been having some problems with my computer and couldn't answer you about the barnacle.  I imagine by now you have it taken care of.
    But just in case, a good thing to do with anything like that---driftwood, barnacles, etc. would be to boil them in the salt water you give your crabs.  If it isn't safe to boil them or they are too large, put them in a large bucket or even a completely clean laundry tub (no soap residue, etc) and let them soak in the marine salt water overnight.  Take them and put them outside in the sun if possible and then let them air dry until they are completely dry.  It depends on the size of the piece you're drying as to how long.

Things such as driftwood can take sometimes take three or four days, depending on size and how hot it is out.  It's better to let them dry an extra day and not take the risk that they're a little moist on the inside which could cause mildew down the road.
    Just use your keen eye and good judgement and everything should be fine.

I hope your hermit crab is doing well.  Were you able to figure out why he left his shell?

14. DEBBIE

Hello Jellybean! So good of you to answer. I haven't put the barnacle in because of "Squirt" coming out of his shell; just wanted to wait to be sure he's okay before I do anything.  The barnacle is larger than a softball and I thought I might just use a hammer to break up a little and then boil. I only have a 10 gal. tank and things get a little tight if I add too many large things.

I had not thought of putting the barnacle in the sun. I'll do that to make sure it's ok after I boil it. I'm in NC and it's about 90+ today, so a couple of days in the sun should do it.

Squirt went into a shell; it's much too large for him. I have him in iso and some shells and honey (and water) in with him. I do see signs that he has been to the water dish and he seems to have more energy today than yesterday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe he came up too early from molting (no idea why) and was just weak. I found a little bit of exo and put in with him.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll keep yall posted!!

Debbie

15. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

He needs protein and calcium right away. Honey by itself is not balanced enough.Whatever you give
    him in his tank is what you should be giving him along with the honey. What do you feed them? He really needs meat of some kind seafood,poultry,beef (unseasoned). If he surfaced to early than he could have been forced out of his shell and does not have his exo to eat so you need to try and substitue it with something soon.

16. DEBBIE

Thanks Trixie, I have put in the food I usually feed them, brine shrimp and some eggshells and vegetables to choose from along with the honey and the exo I found. He seems to be getting a little stronger and I have a number of shells with him because the shell he's in is way too big for him.

Thanks for all your help. Keeping my fingers crossed he continues to get stronger.

Debbie

17. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

large shells for a small crab is fine. I had one thats shell was too big and it was funny to watch it trying to climb. I looked just like the shell was moving by itself. If it has just molted then it will double in size within a month or so. They are much smaller and soft after they molt so they can slip out of its old exo easier. It is probably the reason why it it not very active.  So it might just fit by then. He could also be using it for protection.

18. DEBBIE

His shell is so large I can barely see his feet under him. I have propped his shell on top of one I think he can fit into easily so hopefully he will decide to move at some point.

Thanks. Debbie

19. DEBBIE

An update on Squirt. He is becoming more active and seems to be recovering well. So if it continues I plan on bathing him and putting him back into the regular crabitat so hopefully he'll find a shell that fits him better.

On another note, not to "toot" my own horn I belong to a group on facebook and a lady had bought hermit crabs at the beach last week. The good part is they are still alive. The bad part is they were bought from someone who didn't tell the lady everything she would need to take care of her new babies. So I invited her over to see my crabitat, gave her some sand and coconut fiber, food, shells and anything else I had to help her get started. She has an aquarium and she was going home to set it up like she should. I gave her the link to here and I know if she joins everyone will help her like you guys helped me 3 years ago when I bought a crab without a clue what I needed.

So thankful for this site and everyone who helped me so much. Just wanted you guys to know I'm passing on the kindness you gave me.

Debbie

20. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Have you bathed him yet. Please dont. He has been in distress since he was brought up early. A bath might make it worse. If you did and he is doing fine then great.Keep an eye on him when you put him in the main tank to make sure he isd not being picked on by the others.