1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Algae Wafers? Cant find hermit crab food here in my town.

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by dummom, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dummom

dummom Hi, I'm New Here!

Is this ok for the crabs? I have went to wal mart and the one pet store in my town and cant find hermit crab food. I have ordered some Gardner's Treecrab Food.

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Algae wafers can be a good supplement, but they're not a complete diet. I use Hikari algae wafers for my crabs and crayfish from time to time. I'd reccomend grinding them up and adding them to some fresh food, like fruit or steamed shrimp -- pretty much anything that's not processed and is preservative free. Actually, you should keep offering fresh "treats" even after the staple food arrives. Hermit crabs benefit from receiving a wide variety of foods, though it may take a while before they get used to them.

Some of my crabs' favorite treats are:

steamed shrimp
    thawed frozen silversides and krill (from the fish section at Petco)
    apples
    raisins
    dried cranberries
    coconut
    nuts
    popcorn (no oil, butter or salt!)
    organic peanut butter
    organic baby food in various flavors
    Dried baby shrimp (Tetra brand in the hot pink container, from the fish food section)
    Dried bloodworms (also Tetra, also in the fish food section)

A really easy way to get a variety of treats (if you're like me and don't eat a lot of all-natural stuff yourself) is to use Kaytee healthy toppings for birds. They have a lot of good preservative-free dried fruit, veggie and nut mixes.

3. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

wherever you got your crabs have to sell some food btw how much are the silver slides? i only have 12 dollars dont wanna go if i dont have enough

4. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

A big pack that lasts months shouldn't be more than $6 or $7.

5. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

Mine aren't big on shrimp, I have tried boiled chicken, they seem to like that. Their favorite thing is rolled oats mixed with a spoon of organic peanut butter and a dollop of honey. That is a favorite occational treat. I also buy fruit and dry it in my dehydrator for a fun snack. Fresh coconut shredded or if you cannot find that, they have fresh coconut shreds in the bird food section.

6. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

You can check out petdiscounters.com they have some really great prices, and a rather large selection of items too. Plus they try to charge the lowest possible shipping fees. I got my order from them today and am very happy. I put in my second order with them, including a pack of algae wafers, today.

Happy Crabbing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.