1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air bubbler??

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Amenagerie, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amenagerie

Amenagerie Hi, I'm New Here!

I've been reading and rereading the sticky "I just bought new crabs...." and keep finding something new each time. It's very informative. I just caught the air bubbler part. How do you go about hooking that up? IN the water? Or they just like the air? I want to be sure I go about it right, even if I do get embarrassed by asking what feels like a dumb question. :p

2. leathaface

leathaface Hi, I'm New Here!

I believe you add them in the water dish (as shallow as it is). The bubbling of the water helps add humidity to the air (by speeding evaporation) and provides circulation in the tank. At least thats what i've read.

3. Melissa H.

Melissa H. Hi, I'm New Here!

no question is a dumb question :) Aquarium bubblers can be pretty cheap when they're small. you can get one at just about any standard pet store, theyre very affordable. you should probably get a low powered one. as a amateur aquarist, i can tell you that you just stick it in under the water, and then the porous rock has air blown in it (you need an airpump as well ) which creates the bubbles under water :>

4. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Cool! Will air bubblers make it like a jacuzzi?

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I'm fighting to keep the humidity below 80 and it keeps jumping so I think more humidity is not on my shopping list.:):p

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have an air bubbler set up in my tank too. A lot of times people will use them to make the air more moist in the tank when they have problems with their humidity being too low, as Leathaface alluded to. I don't have a problem with my humidity, but I use mine in my water dishes to keep the water stirred up so I don't have to change the water dishes every other day.

Air pumps are generally sold by the amount of gallons your tank is, different sizes for smaller to larger tanks. That doesn't apply to the water dishes in our crabitats. I have a 75 gallon tank but my "air pump" is only for 10 gallons. It is a Whisper Air Pump 10. I personally like the Whisper because it is quiet.

Here is what I use for a setup:
    10 gallon air pump
    Airline hose
    Gang valve
    Air stones
    ***Airline hose---clear, small in diameter flexible tubing that attach├ęs to the
    pump and to the gang valve
    ***Gang Valve---it can be brass or plastic and has 2,3,4, or more hookups for tubing to go. The main hookup (on the side of the gang valve) is for a piece of tubing to go to the pump from the gang valve. The other round hookups are for the tubing to be attached and go into the tank with an air stone attached on the other end(small round or square stone) and into the water. The Gang Valve has an adjustment for each of the airlines so you can have a little or a lot of air. That is why I like it, because I only have a few bubbles coming out of my air stones, just enough, as I said, to keep the water stirred up. That way I don't have to worry about too much moisture or water all over my glass.

These can all be bought at Walmart except for the "Whisper" air pump, which they sell another brand (don't know the name right off hand).
    These can be found in the pet stores as well.

:eek:sorry this was so long...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.