1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After molting my crab does not look bigger but smaller

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Person, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

After molting my hermit crab is not bigger but smaller!!! [​IMG] WHY!!!!!! His exo is hard and he has eaten all of his sheded exo!! [​IMG]
    This is weird. Help Wendy...

2. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

That's because he is dehydrated and needs protein (if I'm wrong, somebody please tell me) and needs exoskeloten!!![​IMG]

3. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

In order to pull the muscles of the claws through the tiny wrist joints, the crabs literally have to shrink their muscle. This is why they are smaller after molting.

In order to grow, the crab needs nitrogen, which can be obtained from young plants, like alfalfa sprouts, or other sprouts, and also from oak leaves or sycamore leaves, as they begin to decay. You'll have to give clean, dry leaves that you know have not been treated with chemicals, and leave them in the tank for a while. When I put a new leaf in, it usually sits for up to two weeks before they decide to eat it, and then it goes quickly.

When recovering from a molt, in my opinion (I have no scientific evidence of this, it's just a feeling) the crab needs, aside from the calcium and beta carotene rich foods that are usually recommended, large water basins, both salt and fresh, so that it can get in and soak if it wants to. This will help it reabsorb water and salt to help regrow while the exo hardens.

The crab also needs, as Felicity said, protein, B complex vitamins (especially B12), cellulose (leaves again, or corn on the cob, without the corn. My crabs love a good corn cob), and seafoods containing astaxanthin, which is a coloration pigment more important to crabs than beta carotene. It comes in shrimp and krill. If you can't get those, you'll need to feed lots of orange vegetables and fruits like mango, and leafy green vegetables for the beta carotene. Oils are vital at this time, so try offering your crab some egg scrambled in extra virgin olive oil, or offer peanut or other nut butters. They use oil reserves up during molting, and are starved for it after recovery.

Don't worry if the crab shrunk, it'll grow again, with the proper conditions. But this is why you can't age a crab by its size accurately.

4. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. Felicity Loves Animals

You're welcome!!!

6. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

For some reason the crab still looks small. And about a week of doing the things that Kali_Ma said to do the crab is still small. [​IMG] hmmmmmm. weird. But the crab is now very energetic but still very small. Ohhhhhh i didnt do the leaf thing because I cant find any of those leaves. [​IMG]

7. Felicity Loves Animals

Hermies, when just molted, will be VERY active for awhile!!![​IMG]

8. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

If your crab has hardened, he's going to stay small until his next molt, sorry to say. Be sure to feed him like I suggested to you, and make sure he has the water sources in the during his next molt, and he'll most likely grow.

Such surprising little critters, aren't they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.