1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

after his molt

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by scoobdoo, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is crabby paddy after his molt, he went down in mid oct just came up about 4 days ago! he is a bit beefier!!! i caught him talking to his friend, they had their little feelers going all over each other

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

CONGRATS scoobdoo!! How long has it been ? A year?

3. scoobdoo

yes, he goes down once a yr. and soon after his friends follow like clock work. right now as we speak i have one scratching and digging under the sand, he was doing this earlier, going under and coming up .. my crabs never dig and hide until they are ready to molt, very annoying if have to sleep in your recliner!

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Ha! Same here! One is down and the rest are digging bigtime. Last year they were all up by now and the strange thing is I dont think they are that big. There shells are only 1 1/4 in opening but they are pretty beefy. Maybe their big crabs I dont know.

5. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

Trixie, reposted something that might help you. Under "Help" by Debbie.

These crabs are fascinating creatures!

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Once one goes into premolt the others will follow. The first releases pharamones which triggers all the rest to follow. I've also had hermit crabs that want to change into another shell and most of the others will gather around to wait until the the crab has changed then the other will change into the shell that the other vacated and so on. They would take each others shells. I have many shells but they always seem to like the recently used ones.

7. scoobdoo

the 2 new ones have triggered cahos in my tank..they have went down, my other 2 have have also went down but one keeps deciding to come and poke his head up then go back down. they have destroyed my nice tidy tank with huge pot holes, i can't even out the sand it drives me nuts! :scream:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.