1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on giving up crabbing and storing items for much later use pls!

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by Beetlebug, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Guest

I need some help here. I am seriously considing adopting my crabs out. I don't want to but I am starting to see that is probably the best for them.

I have noticed that I am not paying them as much attention as they need. I am also realizing that time is a issue now and in a couple months I probably won't know what time is....I am having a baby in July btw lol.  :cheer: I am just torn. I know that if I adopt them out I would be extremely picky who got them. and I would like to keep my tanks and a good bit of the stuff bec i will get back into crabbing down the road. but not sure how i would go about storing. you think that the tanks would be ok in an attic?

I hope all that made sense. so what do you all think? :sad5:

2. green_sars24

green_sars24 "Preparing For First Molt"

I'd say its ok. Just make sure that everything is baked and dried before storing it. The tank can be washed out down the road when you need it , but you don't want mites getting into your decorations. If everything is bone dry, seal it in big freezer ziplock bags. hope that helps!

3. sayde15

sayde15 Hi, I'm New Here!

I have stored tanks for later use.  I clean before storage and clean again before use.  I would say sand, coconut fiber or EE, food items like that depose of.  Any decor I soak in salt water dry completely then store in space bags(ones that air can be sucked out) or zippy style bag.  I have kept mind in an attic garage and the tanks have been fine.  If you ever use them for fish I would double check seals.  Seal can weaken during storage but for land hermit crabs everything should be fine.  Good luck with your baby.  I did the same thing I stopped all pets had my kids(3) and the crabs are the only ones I have now.  I think adopting out is a good decision and start again when you have more time.  Good luck with everything!!!!!!

4. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Umm, Sayde, this was  2 years ago.