1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adopting newbies that had mites recently

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by crabbyjo, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

HI everyone,
    I'm adopting some newbies that recently had mites - the owner discovered them about two weeks ago and did all that she could to get rid of them. She says she has not seen any sign of more (she said that they were described as the easiest to get rid of when she looked it up).
    I plan to take these hermies from her this weekend. They will be in a 10 gal iso (there will be 4 of them) with EE.

I'm looking for any advice to prevent the reoccurence of mites. My plan is to keep them iso'd at least 4 weeks. Another person suggested a "vaseline line" to keep any possible mites from escaping the iso and getting into my house.

Would it be better to ask her to keep the crabs another week or two in order to be absolutely certain, or do you think if I'm just careful enough I won't have to worry?

She'll be calling me tomorrow so I'll have to make up my mind soon, I told her my iso was available so I could take them.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

No ISO the crabs and follow the sticky under general care---------all new crabs should be ISO she may be seeing booklice- do you know the difference in how they look?

3. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I didn't see the lice, she said they were white and moved rather quickly, and were not really tiny.
    We bathed them as soon as she brought them (in ocean salt water) and there was no sign of lice in the water. I bathed them in fresh dechlor water two days later, no sign of lice (also replaced substrate did a boil/bake on all tank decor and dishes) still. Will be bathing them again this weekend to be sure in case any possible eggs hatched (another iso cleaning as well). They will remain iso'd for 3 weeks, possibly longer because I'm pretty sure one will be going down for a molt soon, the iso reeks of iodine. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.