1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adopted another crab!

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by MoribundMaverick, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Today I picked up a hermit crab from a lady whose kids were no longer interested in their pet. I'm sooo excited, and I remain to be excited, because I still haven't seen the guy! He is down for a molt... I can see him burried at the bottom of the cage.
    Yes, he came to me in one of those large critter cages. I was very surprised, however, to find that he had salt and fresh water, though not deep bowls, some stuff to climb on, and a humidity guage! And the humidity/temp was actually correct... the lady had wrapped the sides of the lid and part of the top in plastic wrap. Also, the substrate was pretty deep and wet- well, obviously, seeing how the crab is completely burried and molting. The lady said she's had him for two years and he molts about three times a year. I was impressed that he seems to be so healthy while in a painted shell and a critter cage!
    Also, I stopped at the dollar store today and got a new "hermit pool" for my crabs, seeing how my bigger one is a bit to big for the one I had, which was a tuperware lid. Now I have an actual small shell dish thing... not sure what it is supposed to be. Found it in the bath section. Anyways, I tested all the crabs to make sure they can get out right and they all LOVE it. They are having a pool party now. :p

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Good for you.

3. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Nice! Have you decided on a name or are you sticking with the name the previous owner gave him? Well that might be a stupid question because you havent seen him yet.:) Can you see what species he is from the bottom of the cage?

4. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

Congrats!!
    You will enjoy them alot!

5. MoribundMaverick

I am going to wait to name him till I see him... and till I find out what gender he/she is seeing how the last several times I named before checking and misnamed them all... lol.
    I'm pretty sure it's a PP, judging by the products he came with and I could see the tips of some of his legs so I think he is a PP.

6. kikee

kikee (Micro Crab)

Congrats Im sure he/she will have a happy home with you.
    Well done :)

7. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Great! I'm glad the owner did not dig him up to show you like Snap's owner did. Great job!:)

8. MoribundMaverick

I know, I was especially surprised when she told me that I had to keep the humidity and temperature in the "yellow" range that it shows on their guage.

9. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Awesome! :D It's great that the previous owner actually gave him/her necessities. Now the hermie is going to get even more! Congrats on the pool too! :D What was his old name?

10. MoribundMaverick

She said she didn't know... she was assuming her son never really named the crabs. He brought home two from the store, got bored, one died, so she replaced it with this one, which the boy never named. In time the other one died so she just gave this one to me. I still haven't seen him... she said it sometimes takes him three weeks to a month to molt, so I'm guessing he's an okay size, beause my teenies always take two weeks tops..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.