1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Active Crabs

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Klabelle, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

How does everyone get their little crabbies active.
    Mine seem ever so sluggish nowadays,
    every once in while hermes and apollo will come down and take a bath
    and apollo will go for a 2am stroll but go right back to his place.
    hermes and aphrodite won't leave the tree and now poor apollo has to sleep alone =<

They didn't even touch their food last night or the night before.

Hermes is very pale and I can't tell if he's about to molt or if he isn't eating his food ><

2. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hmmmm, my crabs do NOTHING during the day. They are only active at night. Maybe that's why?? If they're coming down for baths, and sitting in trees, that probably means there's nothing wrong, that they're healthy.

I can't wait till the summer!!! In te summer it always seems like my crabs are awake during the day! It's like they hibernate in the winter! xD

3. Klabelle

My house is like summer @@ minus the light of course.
    Mine are 3am crabs so they're usually active just as I'm going to bed but they pretty much stay in the same place all day/all night. I pulled a couple all nighters they still didn't move ><

I hope mine are summer day crabs =X
    I bought mine in the early winter months

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

My crabs will sleep in their shower caddy for days at a time about a month or so after they have molted. Some times I will change their food and it hasn't even been touched also their water. Then after days of sleeping one at a time will emerge to drink, eat and stroll around a bit but will end up back in their shower caddy for days. This has been a constant occurrence for the years i have had them.
    give them proper food and water them good even if it seems like they don't touch it. It should be there. I do occasionally wake them up by picking them up. For my crabs it is normal.

5. Klabelle

I do wake them up, hermes I will set on my hand for about a minute, check out his shell while he just sits there and stairs,
    then I set him back down and he goes right back up to his leaf in his little tree to sleep.
    He was so much more active when I had him in a 1gallon back in college to keep him hidden,
    he looooved visitors but nobody comes to see him anymore since I don't live on campus xD
    he likes road trips too but I can't always bring him when I go.

Oh and the only way I can find to get my crabs active is to let them crawl around on the floor after I've swept and stuff, they like to explore.

I'm hoping when I get them into a 35-55g they will be more active since I can fit more stuff in besides a tree, net acting as a bridge and food =<

I always feed them before I go to school around 2 and if I didn't I feed them at midnight so they have fairly fresh stuff

6. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

One of mine is up day or night. I have no idea why. Then everyone else has to climb all over her. Poor thing haha. Seems like she never comes down from where she perches all the time.

7. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

mine can be active at any time, depends to if I'm messing in the tank.

8. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

I always have active crabs around the clock, but then again, I have 25 :p
    Never a dull moment. Although most are out in the evening, there's always the random one strolling around the tank.

9. Klabelle

I have 3, my boyfriend won't let me get one more =<
    I hope the others wake up with summer, maybe they will when I up their cage so they have more to explore.
    I feel bad that they're wasting food :sad5: I bought a lot from vicki's but it has to last them till at least midsummer-october so I wish they'd eat :tuna:

10. scoobdoo

There are ways around that, not getting another one! :rubhands: you go to the pet shop when they are not around, get one bring it home, stick it in iso, hide it, then only take care of it when he isn't around, then stick it in the tank and just say it came out of molting and then some day tell him you got another one.* Me, I just got one, had my kids get the hubby talking outside, took the crab in, bathed him, stuck him in the tank & he never had a clue until I said something weeks later.
    *I could do this cause I got my crabs from the same mom & pop shop and we shop there to get stuff all the time and at the time they never got any more shipment of crabs & didn't have any trouble with them.

11. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

You should tell him to be happy you want to bring 1-inch crabs into the house and not stray cats/dogs ;P

12. Klabelle

I have in my house 3 crabs, 2 cats (1 is mine) 2 black plated lizards, 12ish fish
    and he knows if I had my way/$$ I'd have like 12cats 6 ferrets, an aviary with many birds and types, maybe 5 more crabs and some mice :chuckle:

but really I just want 1 or 2 more crabs

13. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:eeeek: GASP--MICE!! :no: nah---none for me thanks. :chuckle:

14. Klabelle

I think almost every living breathing mammal is cute, there are few that I don't like @@

15. scoobdoo

I had a little white mouse once, felt sorry for him.. I could tell he was a sick thing, but he was cheap & was going to be snake snack. So I bought him, he lived a month and then just died. He had the shakes, maybe had brain damage or something.

16. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I love all animals except for a few. Right off the top of my head...spiders,snakes, alligators,and Armadillo's.

17. Klabelle

okay I agree with the spiders and snakes, gators I wouldnt have as a pet cuz they might eat me....armadillo I have no idea how to feel about XD
    are they in your area or something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.