1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accident at the Dr's Office! Need to VENT!

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Joey Oh, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Yesterday my son had a follow-up appointment to have his ears checked to make sure the infection has now passed.

We checked in... took our seat and waited. Finally they called his name and we went on back. The first thing they always check is his weight. So as soon as he walked thru the door the nurse asked him to take his shoes off so he could get on the scale. Well, he leaned his left hand against the door jamb and the big HEAVY self closing door closed right on his finger... He had his ring finger stuck in the back of the door (where the hinges are)... I opened the door and pulled out his finger.... it was a flat as a pancake! The nurse ushered us back to a room, said she'd get a Dr and ran out of the room... I was left there, alone, with my son.... crying, screaming and bleeding all over... no one offered to help. So I took the initiative to take care of him... ran his finger under the cold water. (What the heck is a room full of nurses for?!?!?!?)

5 minutes later a nurse came back in, then the Practitioner that he was there to see came in... they all came and went and did NOTHING. Finally it was looked at, I was worried about the bone being crushed and the tissue damage that might have happened... we were sent for x-rays and after 2 HOURS he was finally bandaged and we were sent home!!!

The very tip top of the bone is shattered... the joint and the rest of the bone are fine... we will follow up with an Orthopedic Dr tomorrow...

My son is taking it all quite well... however, I feel so horrible for him. If I would have paid attention to where his hand was... I just figured that he SHOULD be safe going to the Dr... he isn't an accident prone kid. To make matters worse... he still has the ear infection after a month and a half (or more) of various antibiotics! :po:

Does anyone know who should be responsible for the bill? Is it my fault that I didn't watch him close enuff when they asked to get his weight?

Sorry I just needed to vent... I just feel so bad for my baby :tear:

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:hug2: Gosh I am soooooo sorry--as far whose fault it was FAT chance they would take the blame........might want to consider changing doctors though--his infection should be better--might be something else. Keep us posted ok?

3. starmaiden

starmaiden "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

What a bummer! :thumbdown: Sorry Joey, I hope he gets better! :tear:

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Id mention them and ask to speak to higher ups, about the lack of emergency care when this happend. The nurse never should've left you. I dont know about your dr office, but the ones I go to have buttons on the walls, every so many feet, and ours can summon help that way rather then rushing off. Did the nurse never think to YELL?!? And for the Dr to not even look at it, pffft. That goes against thier oath to not cause further harm! Mention the word lawyer, malpractice....might get thier attention

5. kathleen

kathleen Guest

Dont blame yourself Joey, it was just an accident. Once they are out of the womb, we really can only do so much watching. It doesnt sound like the staff at the office handled it well at all though. I agree with the comment about maybe looking for another doc. I hope your son is feeling OK.

6. 2step

2step Guest

Ouch! That's a lousy way to treat an injured kiddo! :thumbdown: to that nurse!

How's he doing today?

7. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

OMG, sorry that happen to your son Joey. I hope he heals well and that this will be a distant memory. (((hugs)))

8. Crabcrazy2

Crabcrazy2 (Small Crab)

If you get a bill, I would call the number on the statement. Make sure you're in a bad mood when you call. Tell them that he was injured there....lousy service (meaning you were left alone to care for him because the nurse left) etc, etc. Demand that they take the charges off. Be firm about it. They will. I work for a physician business office.

Please don't beat yourself up over it. NOT your fault. That's why they call them accidents. :oops:

9. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Thanks for all the words of encouragement.... it has been really tough.

We went to the Ortho Dr today and we got some good news... althought the tip of the bone is is crushed, he doesn't see anything that would prevent a 100% recovery. He even said that he will most likely keep his nail. :dancin:

The Orthopedic clinic suggested that I go back to the Hospital (that is where the Dr's office is located) and request to fill out an incident report... I will be doing that first thing in the morning. Then they should be responsible for the bill. I hope all this works out ok... that ortho bill is gonna be really pricey :(

If the incident report doesn't take care of it... I will certainly do that. I can't afford anymore bills.

Noah is doing great! He got the bangdage off today... he hasn't even complained about it. I admire his strength! Again a big Thanks to all of you for your support!

10. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Fantastic news! :teddy01:

11. kathleen

kathleen Guest

I am glad he is doing so well.

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

Way to go Noah!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.