1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolutly Discusted!!

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Agustus&Nigel, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agustus&Nigel

Agustus&Nigel (Micro Crab)

I was at Jack's Aqurium & Pets again today to look at getting another hermie and see if they had improved their conditions since last time I complained.

When I first glanced over at the place where they keep their hermies and didn't see anywhere suitable for them to live. The tank they was usually kept in had one to three inches of water in their tank; so you can predict I thought they had moved them. I went and asked where they moved them to and they said that they hadn't moved them. So, she pointed over to the tank and I walked over to where they usually keep them and found a much, much, much horrible site than what they was kept in before! It was like a horror movie in the tank! As said, there was quite a bit of water in it (one to three inches) and all the crabs were tring to get out of it by climbing to freedom on the decorations or try to climb the walls. There was a very small island, and when I say small, I mean big enough for one or two small/medium crabs and still be in the water. There was still gravel like they use in aquirums for fish. The crabs on the tall decoration thing that they'd usually use for a fish tank was either pushing to stay on or pushing other off to keep on it. The ones on the island was usually immediatly pushed off to make room for another and the ones that was tring to climb the walls were almost certain to drown soon.

Not to metion the poor puppies. They was fighting over in their glass cages. I train dogs and deal with simple play fights and an occasional territorial fight, but this wasn't a play fight; that was aggression.

I would like to do something about this! I need any and all ideas on what to do! I have complained in the past and the conditions only got worse. Please, I need help for the poor animals there.

2. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

That tank sounds Terrible! What are they doing at that store?? :mad:
    I would Def. ask for the manager next time you are in the store, & explain that the "set-up" they have - is incorrect & That these are Land Hermit Crabs. Plus, with that water they are sure to loose many that way, not to mention the Stress those poor crabs are under - just trying to stay out of the water. I would even ask how many die a day there? Even someone who knew Nothing about hermie's, could look at that tank & see that something was wrong. There is a: Hermit Crab Care Sheet located on this site, that you could print out & take copy's with you when you go. Hand them out 2 all. Then, I would KEEP on going to the store & checking on the tank. (And the Puppies too, which probably came from puppy mills)
    I know that I would have a difficult time with my temper in that situation, but anger would probably not get anything changed for the better. But, if in time, things didn't get better at all, then I would suggest that they not carry hermit crabs, if they can Not even provide the "basic" care for them. Also, you can Email them. If I knew the location, then I would send them an email. I have never seen a tank that bad, and I hope I never do! The poor crabs. I have a clear picture of that tank in my head, & it really makes me mad and upset. They are in a Constant fight for safety. With the pushing, & falling back into the water, & trying 2 cling onto something so small 2 stay above the water, (only 2 fall in again) & "climbing" the sides....Etc........ It would take a Lot to De-Stress a crab from all of that misery. :(

3. Agustus&Nigel

Thank-you Dezzi, I'll try that. Here is the things online I could find out about them.

http://www.jackspets.com/
    jack@jackspets.com

I was in at the Lima, OH location. I will make something about the little hermies! The one person there that actully knew something about hermit crabs and even made a deal about the painted shells must have gotten "fired".

____________________________________________________________________________

I was just looking at their hermit crab tips on

http://www.jackspets.com/pet_tips/hermittips.html

and saws this and couldn't help but to point fingers at them; "...a knowledgeable hermit crab distributor like Jack’s Aquarium & Pets." Now, from all my experiences there, they are false advertising on their site.

4. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

I was so disturbed by the conditions of the store, that I looked up Jack's Aquarium last night & read the same thing about their "employees" knowledge, & all about the Store. I also found out that the location was in Ohio, so I just went ahead & sent an email to them last night about the poor hermit crabs. I wonder if I will get a response? I will definetly let you know if I do! Thanks for the links too!

5. Agustus&Nigel

No. Thank-You! Last time I sent them something about the conditions the only said that they was going to try to fix the problems.

6. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

That is absolutely horrible take em to court!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  7. Agustus&Nigel

I would if I could, for animal abuse, but I don't have the money and wits for that right now.

8. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

Grr people aggrivate me..They should be punished :mad:

9. CowGirl Ally

CowGirl Ally Hi, I'm New Here!

oh my goodness, this was the Jack's Aquarium in Lima, Ohio? This shocks me, I live in Findlay, and frequent the Jack's Aquarium here in Findlay. I have found that the Findlay location has an exceptional set up for their land hermit crabs, and the staff is well educated. The manager/ owner especially takes is exceptionally well learned about hermit crabs. My only complaints are that the quarters are a little cramped for the number of hermit crabs they sometimes have when they receive new shipments, and occasionally they do offer hermit crabs in painted shells. But other than that they are quit well cared for. The Findlay sister store has deep enough sand, and even offers both salt and fresh water, in large enough pools for the crabs to bath in, which most stores do not. Perhaps you should suggest that the Lima location contact the Findlay store for proper care of these little guys.

10. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Vicki I think I saw you were writing letters to the stores on the addiction so maybe you can write one.

11. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Cow Girl Ally, might I suggest you mention the other store when you visit your Jack's Aquarium? You could let them know you have heard that they have a completely improper setup for their crabs there and are very concerned about them, as are those who brought it to your attention. The more people getting in on it, the better, as they will realize it's not just one "kook" bugging them (as my local pet store thinks I am, the way they look at me any time I mention their crabitat). The more voices, the stronger the response. Good for you guys stepping up! Also, you guys may consider contacting the store manager/owner (if it is a franchise) and letting them know what you've told their employees about the crabitat, and also provide a care sheet.
    My pet store hates me because they are a Pet Zoo and I took them a Pet Co care sheet lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.