1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A way to ship hermies :)

Discussion in 'Adopt A Hermie - Save A Life, Adopt A Hermit Crab.' started by Hermies4Life, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

HOW TO SHIP LAND HERMIT CRABS SO THEY "ARRIVE ALIVE"

Take a box about large enough to fit all the crabs and punch two holes in it. Write the word "FRAGILE" all over the box. Line the inside with bubble-wrap or some other waterproof material. Put the waterproof material loosely in the box so some air gets through to the crabs.

Take each crab and wrap it in some sort of cloth. You'll want to use something that hasn't been bleached, of course. I use cheesecloth because it is absorbent. You can buy cheesecloth at the grocery store in

the area where they sell rubber gloves, vacuum bags and canning supplies. Make a little circle of material and put the crab on it, and gather the material at the top and make a little bundle. Put a twistie-tie around the top so he can't escape. Take the crab in his little bundle and submerge him in some lukewarm dechlorinated water. Then place him in the box with a lot of shredded paper or some other sound-insulating but air-holding material. Do NOT use newspaper, because the newsprint fumes will kill the crab. Place a damp (nearly sopping but not quite) sponge next to him in the space and a damp paper towel over

him. Cover everything with more shredded paper.

One word of caution: do *not* tell Fedex what is in the box. If the crab is properly wrapped, he won't make any noise and he will be snug and secure and won't suffer any needless stress. If they find out you are shipping a live animal they will get all excited and will refuse to mail him. DON'T let them open the box. If they get suspicious of you, take the box and leave. Try another Fedex office. You don't want them to take the box if they are suspicious of you, or they might open it and you don't know what they'll do with the crab. Keep a low profile at all times. If you have to ship at the post office, be especially calm and routine. If you are nervous or excited the postal employees will be curious about you and you do not want to raise any alarms.

It is not against the law to ship hermit crabs via the mail. However the regulations permitting it are newer (2001) and not very well known. I tried telling the post office that I was shipping hermit crabs and first they wanted me to explain what a hermit crab was. Then they told me that a crab should be packed in ice so it would not spoil (like I'm going to eat them, LOL). Then they hauled out their foot-thick regulation book, which did not have the update in it. Then they yelled at me for trying to ship something illegally (which I was not). Oh and also they called their manager and everything, and I ended up wasting two hours there. Do yourself a favor and don't try to explain anything to anyone. Just mail the box and leave. If you are sure it will be warm enough for the crabs (60 degrees and up) and they are securly wrapped, you're good to go.

Also one word of caution, do NOT sign for the box to be left without a signature.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

WOAH this is bad in my opinion- where did you come up with this? There are much better way and its much safer. I would never ship crabs this way especially submerging the crab wrapped up in water :eek: imagine the horror. The crab took the time to make his shell of proper mix salt/fresh and during the trip you want to flood him with fresh only?

and "do not leave the pkg at the door" so the crab goes back to the post office to sit in maybe a cold enviroment overnight only to be josseled around again? THATS sad!

Im sorry but I totally do not agree with this and cant let it go without voicing my opinion. Did you receive crabs this way?

3. Hermies4Life

No this is how a administrator at another site told me to tell people how to ship them. I thoiught it was a pretty good idea,but i stilll have questions like you. But she has had many sucesful crab shipments using this method,maybe she just wasn't descriptive enough.

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I dont have questions- I have a better way and dont agree with how this is laid out- shame that info like this is going out there......my link in my siggy is my site and I have how I would ship them and how they have been shipped to me. I have had crabs shipped to me 3 x's- each time was different. The right way IMHO is listed there :)

5. Hermies4Life

okay thank you :)

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I've been sort of wondering about shipping them for a while. I'll go see you site, HERMEZ. Does anyone know if yu can just carry them with you on a plane? I want to but I don't want the airline ot be mad at me and smuggling 13 crabs through sucrity in you pocket is not what i'm going to do. Are you allowed to take them? On air alaska they said only cats dogs birds and tropical fish but if you bring fish why not crabs? I'm going to a tortoise meeting today so I'll know about my tortoise but does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to ship them even though it might be really safe.

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

You have to nitify the airline and it was rather expensive.

As for the S&H mentioned above, I agree with Hermez that it's the wrong way to ship. What site was this info from? I've shipped crabs to people and wouldn't suggest this method at all.

8. cococrisp

I've decided not to bring my hermit crabs with me this summer. I think it will be too stressful for them to be traveling back and forth twice a year on a 6 hour flight. I'm going to be gone for two months this summer and one I will be at camp anyway. I'd have to set up a whole tank for them and I think it's just too stressful. I have a friend here in Seattle who is interested in caring for them but they will have to be in the 75 gallon because The 120 is too big to move. I'll have to teach her all about my crabs but she'll always have the forum. I'm really going to miss my crabs but i don't think they will be able to make it especially with digging up the molters etc... It's too much.:(

9. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I rather just bring it in person!

10. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Me too! Unless it's a really long drive. Then shipping is necessary. I can't find it on your site, HERMEZ. What section is it in?

11. cococrisp

It's in good stuff to know under crabitat info and and other stuff. The caption under good stuff to know is shipping crabs etc.

12. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.