1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Topside Molt.

Discussion in '~HCRU Hard Drive~ - Carved In Stone' started by CudaCrabby, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Heres one of the mediumish PPs that did a topside molt this morn, i tried to get the color of it in as good as i could but my cheap digi cam aint doing a good enough job.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

Great pics, and congrats on the molt. [​IMG]

3. oimsofunny

oimsofunny Hi, I'm New Here!

You got some great pix to keep of yours molting. Congrats on the successful molt. Now for them to hurry and get active again.. lol..

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Wow, those are some wonderful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing them. How long was your baby sitting still waiting to molt? My straw, Vino, has not moved at all since Tuesday. I hope he is getting ready to molt. It drives me crazy to see him just "there" and not be able to move him or pick him up. I am having a hard time resisting the urge to "smell" him. I have had 2 crabs die without making the whole tank stink. It was only when I picked them up and took a whiff and they subsequently fell out of their shells that I knew they had moved on...

5. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]Thanks, Tricia, Sabrina & Kupla, well i usualy notice them acting wierd about 2 days befour there topside molt if they do not dig down under, i have had a few that topside molted without a hitch and are doing super well to this day. This one sorta was by the water dish not walking around like normal did drink alot then just sort stayed there by morn it was still sitting out i knew then it was gona do a topside molt since it made no atemps to hide anywhere and i knew the signs well. I put it in ISO checked that night and new it would be sometime the next morn due to in activity and the way it was postioned in the shell and sure enough it had molted by morn. The thing with the straws i have noticed, alot of them pass away in this molt type postion, 2 straws that passed away with us were indeed in this sitting posture both drank alot for days both sat in the salt water dish, both ate tons food, then poof just quit and sat in one place and one was put in ISO and was nursed carefully and lived for along time that way but finaly passed on in that sitting postion, the other got extremly stiff sitting almost like it was in a coma, now im not saying your hermie is dying or dead im just telling you how mine passed away, the other straw did a complet molt under ground but was attacked by another and eattin, thats how that one passed on, these were big straws to boot.. all in all 2 made it with us for over 3 months befour passing away. By any chance can you tell me who ya got your straws from?? Just curious thats all.. I would deffinatly kick up the humidity and also provide stronger salt water. Kupla i hope and pray your straw is gona be ok and that it molts without a hitch. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I tend to think that Vino has probably died. Sometimes you just can't ignore that nagging intuition that we have. [​IMG]

I got him on line from www.hermits-direct.com I'm not at all saying that they are a bad place to order from. I was fortunate to have a good transaction with them. In fact, all four of the micros that I purchased from them have molted and are doing fine. Keep in mind, that they arrived only 7 weeks ago, so it is not out of the relm of possibility that he is suffering from pps. Perhaps it is just his time-I suppose they die of old age at some point.

I keep my humidity at around 80% all the time-since I do not ISO and allow main tank molts. I have had 16 successful main tank molts with out complication. IMO, the less you interfer with them, the better off they will be. I do also think that a lot of allowing main tank molts depends on the size of your enclosure, hiding spots and how many crabs are housed within its walls.

I have a hydrometer and measure the specific gravity of each batch of water I make, so I know that the salinity is on target for them. I also provide Doc Wellfish salt crystals in the tank as "salt licks" should they feel the need to increase their salt intake.

If he hasn't done anything at all by the end of the week and still doesn't smell up the tank, I will pick him up and take a whiff....

Thanks for all of your advice and support-it really is nice to be able to have a sounding board when you need to clear your head! You're all the greatest! [​IMG]

Sad to report that Vino has moved on the that big crabitat in the sky. I decided to lift the cone of isolation tonight and smelled the inside of it...wheww! I picked up the poor baby and tipped the shell and he fell out-abdomen and all. These poor straws! For the most part, they really seem to have a hard time in captivity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.