1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Tank Requirments Thread would be nice

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by HermitPaws, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

it would be nice if some other then me could post a tank requirments Thread for say a 10 gal just so new be's know what to have on hand or something like that.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

I wrote up one for my forum few years ago.

Basic Hermit Crab Care Sheet

The Hermit Crab Addiction recommends the following supplies for your hermit crabs well being. You may find these items at your local pet store or online. Please check the site http://www.hermitcrabaddiction.net/forum for more ideas or The Hermit Crab Addictions online store can be found at www.hermitcrabaddictions tore.com

SUPPLIES

•Glass aquarium or terrarium. We recommend nothing smaller then a 10 gallon. Also known as a crabitat.
    •A glass or plexi-glass lid for the aquarium. You may use a mesh lid and cover it with saran wrap. Please be advised this isn’t the best solution.
    •A humidity gauge to assure the crabitat stays at the recommended 74 - 82% relative humidity
    •A temperature gauge. The crabitat needs to be between 72 - 84 degrees farenheit temperature
    •UTH(under tank heater) for your correct tank size. You may also use a combo light. You will need a day-glo and a night-glo incandescent bulb. The wattage will vary depending on your tank size.
    •Substrate that is acceptable, such as play sand that is deemed safe for children, beach sand, compressed coconut fiber (Eco Earth and Forrest Bedding) or fine crushed coral.
    •Extra shells are needed. Approximately 4 shells per crab in a varying range of sizes and types.
    •Fresh foods are a MUST. Offer them daily fresh meat, eggs, fruit, veggies and nuts. We offer a safe food list on our site, please check it out.
    •Dechlorinated water & bowl(not metal). Get a water conditioner at most pet stores in the aquarium supply area. Make sure it does NOT contain a slime coat. Tap water will harm your crabs.
    •Saltwater and bowl(not metal). Also found in the aquarium section of a pet store. Do NOT use table salt as it is harmful to hermit crabs. You need the salt water bowl to be deep enough to FULLY cover your largest crab. Some brands are Oceanic and Instant Ocean salt water. The salt water also need to be dechlorinated.
    •Hiding coves and huts. You can make your own out of Tupperware or buy store bought items such as half logs, caves and coconut huts.
    •Climbing accessories such as choya/cholla wood, cork bark, grapevine, driftwood and coral. You can use fake plastic plants and vines, hemp nets, turtle docks are also great.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I also have a sticky HERE--I got new crabs what do I do? That covers what is needed also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.