1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a snorkle adventure - Now with MORE photos

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Amie91280, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amie91280

Amie91280 "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Ryan, RJ and I went snorkeling at the beach today. RJ stayed up on the sand because the waves were pretty bad from time to time. I found my very first shell underwater and Ryan dove under and got it for me. I usually just snorkel along the top and look down. Anyway, Ryan called no joy cause of the waves and current, so I told him I wanted to find just one more shell, then we could quit. He swam off and came back with about 4 shells in his hand. He gave them all to me and as we were swimming back in, I saw the biggest one I've seen here yet. I pointed it out and Ryan swam down again. Before he even came back up to me, I felt something squirming in my hand and squealed through my snorkle. By the time he got to me, I saw that three of the five shells in my hand had orange and black striped crab legs poking out of them! We took them up to our beach mat to show RJ and so we could get a better look. I'm sooooo mad I didn't take my camera with! The underwater one get wet and isn't working and I left the digital at home because I'm always afraid someone will steal it while we're in the water. Anyway, the hermies were too cute. They had orange and black striped legs, grayish bodies and bright blue eyes! Ryan took them back out and put them on the ocean again and as we were getting ready to leave, two other shells started moving. they look like cone shells and I didn't think a crab could even fit in them, but both of those had crabs too! Ryan took them back in the water too and we were left with one shell. I put it in our mesh bag and it went into the trunk. when we got home 5 minutes later, I dug it out of the bag and there's some weird mint green snail hanging out of it. I'm just waiting for that one to die so I can keep the shell. I'm honestly thinking of setting up a tank and maybe trying my hand at marine hermies. Anyone know anything about them?

2. gotcrabs

gotcrabs Guest

Re: a snorkle adventure

that sounds so cool! no i don't know anything about marine hermies. crabs sound awesome!!!

3. Amie91280

Re: a snorkle adventure

Next time we go to the beach, I'll totally take my camera...lol. I'll see if I can find them online and post a link or a picture. Here I don't even have to worry about mixing salt water, I can go up to the beach with a 5 gallon camping jug and get some any time I want. It's too bad land hermies aren't allowed or native here, cause mine would be in crabby heaven. Knowing me, I'd probably take them to the beach for day trips...lol.

These are the shells two were in that I didn't think anything could live in:
    http://www.aquaticsworlduk.com/orangehermit.JPG
    RJ has a few shells like that, but none had any crabs in till today...lol. I can't ID the shells, so if anyone knows, please tell me!

The crabs kind of looked like Halloween hermit crabs http://thereef.info/halloween%20hermit%20crab.jpg but the other photos of them on google look like they're orange and white, and the eyes are orangish red. The ones we found all had bright blue eyes and orange and black striped legs. Guess I have to buy a better underwater ID book if we'll be here three years, I bought a fish ID book, but it's not that big. It only has the most common fish and nothing about shells or other marine life.

4. Amie91280

Re: a snorkle adventure - Now with photos

We went again last night and found one. The water was pretty choppy so we didn't stay long. We brought it up to the beach, took a few photos and put it back in the water

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imageshack is being stupid and resized them both (by half!) and won't upload any more right now. I hope its big enough to make out the crab clearly, I'll try again later and maybe post a few more pics.

5. Amie91280

Re: a snorkle adventure - Now with photos

We went again today, but to a different beach. No crabs today, but LOTS of fish! Ryan bought me an early bithday gift today too, a new underwater digital camera. The case cracked on our old (cheap) one and it wasn't working anymore. The new one works better than the old one, but I have to play with it before we go out again because I couldn't figure out how to turn off the flash, so the shutter delay was TERRIBLE. We saw my absolute favorite fish, a moorish idol, but it was too zippy to get a photo of with the shutter delay so bad. Guess it's time to read the manual...lol. Here are a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I looked it up in my book, it's a stripe belly puffer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I THINK this one was a yellow tang

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We didn't see too many big, colorful fish today, but the schools were pretty neat. The beach on North Shore has the coolest fish, maybe I can talk the guys into going next weekend :D

6. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

i wonder if i could grill these fish.... :think: :think: :think:

7. tara

tara "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

VERY :kpics: !!
    Y'all are just livin' the dream, aren'tcha Amie.
    Luckies. ;)

8. Amie91280

LOL tara, i sure am. we go snorkeling every weekend, weather and surf permitting. :D I couldn't love it more, but we're already getting sick of going to the same old beaches around here. The one closest to our house is the coolest, we live in a semi bad part of town, so the tourists stay away and it's usually deserted. the only bad part is the waves tend to be worse there than at the other beaches that have coves or breakers.

9. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

i figure if you are there then you might as WELL live the dream. i'd be out snorkeling/scuba'ing as much as i could if i were there. maybe i'd actually put the scuba cert to some use instead of getting it and never using it.

i think it's cool to go doing that so often. only problem is you'll get addicted to it and then when you leave you'll be having withdrawals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.