1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A sandy nightmare

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by RoxyLupin, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoxyLupin

RoxyLupin (Micro Crab)

Right now I'm having a sandy nightmare with my tank... I keep finding mold and crab-parts in my tank :eeeek:... I don't have any current way to go out and get more substrate nor do I have the money to order some EE offline... What should I do untill I can do a deep clean?

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Look for any food that may be laying around or partially buried and remove it.
    If your sand is moldy too, remove the top layer where the mold is. If it is growing on the glass, mix together some vinegar and water, 1/4 cup vinegar to 3-- 1/4 cups of water. Make sure your tank gets plenty of air for a few minutes afterward to let the smell dissipate so it won't over power the crabs. Check your things in the tank too because some of them may have mold on them.

Is your sand too wet? Carefully poke a hole down to the bottom to see if you feel any water on the bottom of the tank. Don't forget to allow air into your tank as well.

Crab parts could be from a crab that has molted. Have you had any deaths recently or is everyone accounted for.

This is what I'd do, but maybe some of the other members have something different to add... :flower:

3. RoxyLupin

RoxyLupin (Micro Crab)

=/ well I everyone's accounted for... and if I remember right Vulcan and C.C. both recently molted. As for the mold I'm slowly pulling what I'm guessing was eather food or sponge out of the sand, within the next week I'll be doing a deep clean to remove any remaining traces of it... I'm thinking of actualy switching to EE or EE mixed with sand...

on the subject of EE is there any potting soil or other alternitive that might be cheeper then EE?

4. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Yikes! Many potting soils have chemicals added to them, fertilizers, etc etc...

Would stick to EE or Sand if I were you.

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

To help avoid mold, try only wetting your substrate (whichever you use) with at least half strength salt water. Salt helps to inhibit mold, so it should at least help a bit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.