1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Safe Way to mark AHermit Crab

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by cococrisp, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Does anyone know a safe way to maybe put a little sharpie dot on a Shell with a crab in it? Two of my crabs have almost the exact same shell and I can't really tell them apart. Unless they did some weird shell swap behind my back I think that may work pretty well while they are in these shells. What I'm wondering is, is it safe.:confused:

2. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

i wouldnt take a chance. just learn how they act thats ho i do. mine allhave differen attitudes and they look different.

3. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I wouldn't do it either. No one crab is the same as anyother. I would learn personalities, coloring, size or something like that. Kermi and Soupy are in the exact same shells but Kermi has an all Orange leg and is a little bigger that Soupy. It is hard sometimes. Kermi just came up from her 3rd molt and is bigger now again and Soupy has Kermi's bigger shell that Kermi got rid of before her molt so now Kermi is looking for another one she likes. I hope she doesn't fight Soupy for the one she was in before her molt.

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I have done it with my e's- a small mark or star or something helps and has had no adverse problems

5. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

but if they switch shells how will you know? do you mark them? i am just saying i wouldn't do this but i know my crabs so i dont need to. it is so cool how they all have different personalites

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I was'nt rea'lly going to unless you guys said it was fine. My mom was just like do it. It will be fine but I was not looking forward to having my first hermie death:(. I know the colors pretty well and ones a little smaller it's just hard to tell when one is molting. I'll measure them sometime.

7. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

You can do it, I guess. But maybe you can just observe them more closely and see the color of their legs, eyes, claws, how much they move their feelers, personalities, ect. I always do that with my hermit crabs just in case they trade shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.