1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A real man's pet

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by MAD, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Just thought I would share this.

Alright, one of the few problems with living out here in BFE is that the cats sometimes come in with the odd Tick buried in thier fur.

Hobbes had one on the right side of his jaw, I pulled it straight out with tweezers, dabbed it with neosporin, and fed him a pounce treat.

Its 2 days later, and the wound has swollen some.Upon closer inspection, I saw that I left the ticks head in the wound
    :eek:ops2: :eek:ops2: :eek:ops2: :eeeek: :eeeek: :eeeek: :eek:mg: :eek:mg: :eek:mg:
    Hobbes just laid down and let me extract it without so much as a whimper.
    [img width=500 height=374]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ArchmasterZeta/P1010015-1.jpg[/img]

(He tensed up every now and then, but was like "Alright doc, I trust you, do what you gotta do" and even purred through the procedure.)
    I dont know very many grown men that would have put up with this. It pays to spoil your pets i geuss

2. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

poor kitty!!!

:ambulance: :inv: :tear:

Hope you got it all out this time.

3. tara

tara "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

WOW, I'm impressed. Either Hobbes is one extraordinary cat or you have the steady hands of a surgeon. Or both, which is really awesome! Way to go, Madman!

What a good kitty daddy you are. :clap: :rockz: :hail:

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Aww poor hobbes and you did good dad!

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Kitty cats get a bad rap. They are really very special creatures. If that was one of my Beagles, he'd be yelping and hollering before you even touched him! They are such "drama queens". I'm glad Hobbes is being taken excellent care of. :ambulance:

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

pull the tick UP and out as close to the head as possible- leaving parts of the head is ok usually- you did do good my guys would be flinching all over

FYI a quick dab of diluted tea tree oil will kill lyme immediatley so next time have that ready but in animals it must be diluted.

7. ema

ema "Third Molt In Progress"

Lemme tell you something! If you were coming at me with a pair of tweezers tick or no tick I'd take my kitty claws and take out a few chunks! That is a GOOD KITTY right there my friend! :yes2:

8. MAD

same deal with susie, she had 2 big fat ones under her collar =P
    She has very dense and thick fur which made this even more fun. She was a little apprehensive at first, till I took off her collar to get at the little buggers. She immediately went limp and was like "Alright dad, get them"
    I was able to get one out completely, but the other was a bit more of a problem. She didnt purr like hobbes, but she did just lay there and let me take care of them =)
    Whats funny is that normally she is full of energy and wants to play/bite-fight. I geuss they were really bugging her

Calvin must taste terrible or something as such, I havent found one on her yet.....

9. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

do you have them on frontline? Dont let them get sick!! Im glad you were sucessful

10. MAD

actually I have never had them on anything. They have never had any real trouble with fleas ect ect.

I want to start rubbing them down with flea powder or some such stuff. (They say sevendust is the best stuff to use)

The only problem is that I am sure it will harm the crabs. Last time I did this I had a serious crab mass-death =(
    :sad5: :sad5: :sad5: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

I have been hitting the bites with standard Disinfectanct / Styptic / Antibiotic ointment and they have always healed within the first few days. The only real change I have noted is that they are always full of energy. I always thought cats were supposed to sleep for 20+ hours a day!!!

11. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

MAD- LEX whoever you are- just get the frontline- its so much easier- Lyme disease is no joke........dimascius (sp?) earth is great for the yard if its dry out- safe

dont kill the herms~~~~~

edit: dont get it from a vet- go to a wholesale place like pet edge--care-alot pets - pet guys etc

12. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

13. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

wow I have to check but I think that is WAY cheaper than what I pay thru wholesale unless I am having a senior moment :chuckle:

14. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

15. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

thats good- The one above is on-line only and I dont do that but their prices are unreal! so cheap

I will compare yours Jelly to what I get it for--thanks for the link-o

16. Bumble

Bumble (Micro Crab)

:penny: Don't use seven dust on your pets!

Dr. Foster/Smith has a sale on the flea treatments right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.