1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a quick way to identify?

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by mysticalsoaps, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mysticalsoaps

mysticalsoaps Hi, I'm New Here!

ok, I need to get some pics so you guys can look at them and let me know, but for now-
    Indo's and PP- whats the difference(besides where they come from...) Like how do i know its and indo or its a pp?

Ruggies and Eucs- I am having the dilliest of a time trying to determine which ones i have. to me, they look the same. I see descriptions and pics online, and sometimes i think i have eucs, sometimes ruggies.

I have this micro hermie- he is the freaking greenest of green!! I am suspecting he is an euc. now some of my other that i am just not sure on anymore- some are very light in color, some darker, and one is a greeniesh brwn.

I'll work on pics, but if someone could give a i-am-stupid-quick-tutorial-for-idiots, I would so appreciate it!!!
    Thanks!

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

3. mysticalsoaps

yep that helps :D
    I did take pics tonight, and have a story to tell, but I am beat. we even did a red white blue pic for the contest...i'm off to bed, will post more in the next day or 2........

Annette

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

looking forward to it!

5. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

Thanks, Hermez, for that link! That is VERY helpful to us newbies! The photos are so clear and so wonderful......

Thanks again,
    Donna M.

6. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

If you need help trying to figure out how to post pics ask Krackersmom2! She's really smart about that kind of stuff.

7. mysticalsoaps

ok, here;s my link-
    ivy_slair - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I numbered the pics in question- 1, 2, 3, etc.

they arent the best, but maybe it'll help. I am gonna pull some guys out tonight and use the guide and go from there too.

my red white and blue pic is there, I gotta load that for the photo contest too!!

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I did not look at every pic but they are E's!

9. mysticalsoaps

Thanks Hermez! I kinda figured when I pulled them out tonight and looked @ their bodies and saw hash marks on each one. I was very disappointed. I want some ruggies so bad!! I call the one and only pet store in the area that seems to get them in, and they sell them 3-4.00 cheaper than anyone else. for 2 weeks now no crabs in their shipment, even though they are ordering them!!! amazing, its a crab shortage...lol

The funny thing, the one e looks like he has stitching on the claw!!!

I think my others are just pp's. they dont do much but sleep. Most of the E's are pretty active. now I definately know what to look for when i hit that stinking pet store the next time they get in crabby's!!! There is also another place I want to try that is out where I pick up my daughter. Just to far to drive to make a special trip.

my jumbo I just got the other day to replace mr crabs is missing a leg, i am mad i didnt notice it before I bought him!!

off to bed, i had to take allergy meds since the cats decided to be all over the place and into everything!! (thats what you get when you have to siamese- one is just a hair older than a year, the other is 5 mos old!!)

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

E's can have stitch marks but the BP's are smooth not bumpy and they arent as pronounced as Rugs!!

11. HermieLover93

HermieLover93 Hi, I'm New Here!

If your that dissapointed about getting Es i could take a few off yours hands.......... But seriosly i might buy them if you are willing to because my area is barren of any other species than PP, and i have seven and onl y one is really active.!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  12. momof2hermi_bashfull

momof2hermi_bashfull "First Molt In Progress"

would take any breed of hermit crab, I have 3 what I believe to be PP's, and that seems to be the only species around here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.