1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for 40 gal owners

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by spane116, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spane116

spane116 (Micro Crab)

About three weeks ago I switched to a 40 gallon tank. I thought everything was going fine until one day I came home from work and my glass lid was busted under my light. So here is my question. What type of light set up is everyone using? I had a 60 watt day glo in my hood but I reduced it to a 40 watt until I can get this figured out. I also raised the hood so it wasn't sitting directly on the glass. The glass guy said that it broke because of too much heat. Yesterday I went and bought a new zoo med combination hood so any ideas on what type of fluorescent bulbs to use would be great too. Thanks for the advice!:D

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Well, I would not put the heating light above the glass. It would be great if you could cut a whole in the glass or something but that would be dificult. If you have a hood them I would suggest these moon glo bulbs. The make a lot of heat but no light. You can have them on night and day and you don't have to worry about making a cycle for light etc.

3. spane116

spane116 (Micro Crab)

Heat seems to be the problem so I don't think that will work. Thanks for the idea. Just wondering what type of bulb and how many watts other people with the same size tank are using. :)

4. cococrisp

You could use a heating pad and like I said moonglow bulbs work best for me. How warm is the room your crabs are in genrally?

5. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

IMO heat pads work the best. moon glo and lamps only dried out my sand, and barely heated. Heat pads give the crabs a hot and a cool side to choose from so they can have the temp. they want. My opinion,though.

6. cococrisp

I sort of thought the opposite. I could always mist the top that the lamp burned but not the bottom from the heating pad. I still use heating pads though and that's why I asked about the general temp of the room. Heating pads alone can only bring up the temp so much.

7. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Oh, I use the heating pad on the side. Sorry for the confusion:)

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hi Spane...I use a Repti Glo Full Spectrum UVA fluorescent bulb for my tank.
    Exo Terra makes them too along with some others. The UVA rays are good for reptiles (and hermies). The size of your hood usually determines what wattage of bulb you'll get.

As far as raising your light off of the glass, Hermez places hers on blocks of wood. In fact she has built a sort of frame for the light to sit on her tank. If you go to her site, The Crab Room, scroll down to "Tanks Alot", then click "Lights, camera, action", there's a picture there of what she did with her lights. I definitely wouldn't cut the glass, if you raise it up off of the glass, you'll be fine.

Keep us posted...:)

9. spane116

spane116 (Micro Crab)

Thanks Mckenny! Hermez website gave me some ideas. I also bought a repti glo bulb! Thanks again :)

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Glad it was helpful!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.