1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Problem w/ a Product

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by crabbycrazy2, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbycrazy2

crabbycrazy2 "Second Molt, A Success"

It has come to my attention yesterday of a certain preservative found in a product on the The Crabbage Patch website. A few of us fellow crabbers on here were doing some research on it and have found some awful facts. The Colorado Care Co. has several products sold on their website. The one in question is their Hermit Crab Kibble. Yesterday, when I visited the site it stated that it had metabisulfite in it. We looked it up online and found these results.

"It is used as a food additive, mainly as a preservative and is sometimes identified as E223. As an additive, it may cause allergic reactions, particularly skin irritation e.g. eczema; gastric irritation and asthma. It is not recommended for consumption by children. It is present in many dilutable squashes (i.e. fruit juice concentrates) and in candy bars such as Mounds."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_metabisulfite

It is also used as a sterilization / Cleaning agent, and a aid in stump removal and it's chemical properties are alarming!

"When mixed with water, metabisulfite releases sulfur dioxide (SO2), a pungent, unpleasant smelling gas that can also cause breathing difficulties in some people. For this reason, metabisulfite has fallen from common use in recent times."

This is the kicker though! I emailed The Crabbage Patch asking them about this and how it can be good for the crabs. When revisting the site late last night they had taken it off the ingredient list and substituted calcium and mineral supplements in it's place. I was shocked and appalled that they could misinform people like that, what if someone buys it now and think their getting a great product for their crabs!
    This is their reply to my initial email asking about the ingredients.

" I am not sure where you are finding metabisulfite in any of the Colorado Care Products’ ingredient lists. Here are links to the 3 products we offer by them. Colorado Care Company Strawberry Color Supplement Colorado Care Company Indo Color Supplement Colorado Care Company Hermit Crab Kibble

The Colorado Care Company line contains no preservatives."

Regards,

Kirk Weick

I also was concerned that CCC's products stated using salt, or pure plain salt and the metabisulfite . So, I have emailed CCC about all of this. This is what I wrote:

"Since the recent pet food scare, I've been very interested in feeding all organic foods to my animals. I was visiting The Crabbage Patch website and came across your products. I am a little concerned about some of the items used in them. I noticed that one was salt. That is harmful to crabs, unless it's sea salt. The other is a preservative that was listed as metabisulfite. That kind of preservative has been know to cause allergic reactions, particularly skin irritations,eczema; gastric irritation and asthma. It is not recommended for consumption by children. I was wondering if you could email me all the ingredients that are in the product. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter, but I want only the best for my pets."

Sincerely,
    Jeffiegfan24

This was their reply to my email:

From Sara Elizabeth Ann Taylor <blaze88@gmail.com> Block Sender | Block Domain
    Date 2008/01/25 Fri PM 11:16:43 CST
    To jeffiegfan24@verizon.net
    Subject Re: Question about product
    "All of my ingredents are listed on the crabbage patch website. There is no metabibulfite in my product. The salt is 100% salt, with no iodine added or anti-cracking agents. I do not use table salt in my product."

As you can see, she didn't send me a complete list of ingredients. I received a very short reply. So, I am currently waiting other reply emails from both companies. I have asked The Crabbage Patch how and why they changed the product ingredients after receiving my concerned email. Also, to the Colorado Care Co. I have restated a complete list of the calcium/ mineral supplements used in making their products. Also, for her to confirm if it's pure sea salt. When I receive those replies, I will post them here. I just want everyone on here to know what's going on, even though most of us order food from Vicki. There are those who are new to crabbin' and need to be informed of the problem!

2. crabbycrazy2

UPDATE:

This is the most recent reply from The Crabbage Patch. It is in regards to why they changed the product ingredient.

Good morning,

I have changed nothing in the product description since webegan carrying their foods months ago. Maybe you are thinking of another site.
    Both Colorado Care Company and Crabotanicals arepreservative free, organic foods that contain only beneficial ingredients forhermit crabs.

Regards,
    Kirk Weick
    THECRABBAGE PATCH
    Everything for the land hermit crab enthusiast
    www.thecrabbagepatch.com
    2880 David Walker Dr. #303
    Eustis, FL 32726
    (352) 383 - 8011

-----Original Message-----

This will be my reply!

No, I am not mistaken. Myself and several others have seen it listed on your website, under the CCC's Hermit Crab Kibble. I just don't understand how it's there one day and gone the next. Nothing has changed that quickly w/ the product ingredients that are stocked in your store. I will be informing all my fellow hermit crab friends about this matter. Thank you for your time and consideration in this problem. Were obviously not going to see eye to eye.

Okay, 3 things here, 1.) I've never mentioned Crabotanicals in ANY emails to them. So, why so suddenly is he bringing this up? Makes me wonder? 2.) It's another she said, he said scenerio, so I'm really not going to get anywhere with this Company. 3.) I have yet to receive a complete list or a reply from the CCC.

3. jolenetuyt

jolenetuyt (Micro Crab)

Too bad you couldn't buy some then somehow have it tested, would be much more powerful then words......Probably would be expensive though. :think:

4. crabbycrazy2

I have finally received a reply back from CCC on the calcium/mineral supplements used in their products.

the salt is not sea salt, it is pickeling salt. I have no idea why the ingredients said another ingredient in my food. The ingredients of the calcium supplement are:

Calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, calcium phosphate, calcium hydroxide, dried yeast, dehydrated alfalfa meal, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, choline chloride, inositorl, nicotinic acid, A-ocopherol acetate, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, thiamin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A, palmitate, folic acid, biotin, cyanocobalamin.

and the mineral:

Brewers dried yeast, oat flower, calcium carbonate, soy flour, dehydrated alfalfa meal, sulfur, lecithin, choline chloride, a-tocopherol acetate, beta carotene, whole egg powder, date powder, apple powder, hydrolyzed dried lactalbumen, dandelion powder, niacin, manganese gluconate, potassium chloride, zinc gluconate, vit. k phytonadion, inositol, sodium ascorbate, vit. a acetate, sodium chloride, p-aminobenzoic acid, copper gluconate, thiamine mononitrate, powdered cellulose, riboflavin-5-phosphate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, glutin flour, cholecalciferol, cyanocobalamin, d-calcium pantothenate, xanthophyll, folic acid, magnesium oxide, oil of anise, hesperdinin complex, citrus bioflavonoids, dried kelp, capsicum, potassiumiodide, biotin, rutin, ferrous gluconate, ferrous sulfate.

I'll let everyone else decide if they really want to cont. feeding their crabs this food. It is my opinion though after seeing this, is not to use it, until some things are changed.

5. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Maybe I shouldn't bring this up, but I am administrator over at HCA, and "Blaze88" is one of our members. She is a 14 year old girl who started making her foods to sell. Suposedly she has done a lot of research on the foods, but I do not like that she critizes everyone else's foods & claims that hers are the only balanced diet. She has bashed every other kibble out there, and their makers. She has given short, sharp answers in regards to her foods. Therefore, I have not purchased any of her foods. I recieved a sample of CCC in my last shell order with Crabbage Patch, but haven't served it to my crabs yet. Now I am really skeptical!

6. crabbee

crabbee "First Molt In Progress"

Hmm, well, for me the food issue is a non-starter because I have TONS of food that came with crabs I adopted (thanks nanyjess23, as well as a few other peeps) and there's always our meal leftovers. haha So really, all I can do is watch and think/speculate on buying or not buying. Since I don't need any food, my mind is not in a real analytical (sp?) mode about the subject. lol

Hmmm, *Kathy*, I (for one) am glad you mentioned it. I have seen Blaze88 post there and I had her pegged as an older teen/young adult MALE. Knowing she's a 14 yr old girl kind of helps explain her defensiveness and sometimes offensiveness. Not that it excuses her but I can better understand, now (having been a 14 yr old girl, before lol).

What does kind of concern my pea brain is Crabbage Patch's denial of changing any info on the site and you SAW it there, right, crabmomma3? Others, too?

7. crabbycrazy2

Yes crabbee, 3 people have seen it on there, before it was changed. Blaze has stated it's NOT in there, but CP has left a sour taste in my mouth b/c of this mistake! They have not only hurt customers but it's supplier as well!

8. crabbee

crabbee "First Molt In Progress"

Hmmm, I have been trying to think of how to say something without sounding...mean. and judgemental. and mean. But...I dunno, I just...if something is seen, then disappears... it's just not very honest and adult-like to deny it ever being there. :dontknow:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.