1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A post-molting question...

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by CJ, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG]

Now that Mo is up from his molt, does he look healthy to those of you with trained eyes? (as best you can tell from my picture taking skills [​IMG])

Should I be watching for any "post-molt" signs of stress or poor health? I have no experience with what a healthy newly-molted hermie should look like up close and personal, since Mo is my first one. I was so excited he made it through the molt and was alive that I never thought to ask what I should know about after he surfaced.
    I looked to see he had all of his legs, eyes, antennae, that both pinchers worked, that his exo was hardening and that he was eating and drinking. In a past post I was given excellent information on food to provide from Julia Crab's posts. Anything else to be aware of?

I give those of you with many hermies so much credit!

Thanks for your help! [​IMG] cj

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

You just need to give him time to rest and his color may start looking better in a few more days/weeks. In the pic he looks fine and alert. Is he moving and acting OK?

BTW he is very cute....

3. CJ

Hi, Tricia! [​IMG]

Thanks for your reply! [​IMG] Here is an update.

Mo has been down under the substrate each day since he came up from his molt late on the 14th. Is this the resting you are speaking of? In the late evenings he comes up, eats, drinks, and hops into the pool. He is quite active and curious. He will walk right onto my hand, seems happy to say hello and likes to explore. He is quite the climber and he's pretty fast!

His color is getting better now, one week after this molt. His legs are slowly turning a reddish color.
    [​IMG]

You posted this to danielle and that describes the tips of Mo's legs,too. I think you can see some on the tips of a few legs in Mo's picture.

As for Bob, still down under, I believe I am seeing his "pile of legs" with a wettish circle around his shell just as I observed with Mo just before he started eating his exoskeleton. His legs looked a bit "odd" under his shell, just like Bob's do now.
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully, Bob will have a healthy molt.

[​IMG]cj

4. CJ

Update on Bob, hermie molt #2 in progress... Here is Bob's yellow SpongeBob shell and his big pincher 4 days after I noticed his "pile of legs". I believe he has molted and is eating his exo. I see him moving and hope he is doing well.
    cj [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Yeah, go Bob!!!
    Hope he comes up healthy and happy CJ. [​IMG]

6. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Yipee! I just got some big goosebumps [​IMG] What great news. Your pics are really clear and it surely looks like and exo to me. Mine also get that wettish circle when they molt. I believe I have read that they excrete some gel-like substance when molting, so that is what it probably is.

Mo does appear to be wearing some serious dancin' shoes. Isn't it a great feeling knowing they are molting. I wish I could get a time lapse photo of a molt in process. That would be entirely too cool.

7. CJ

Oh, a time lapse photo of a molt would really be entirely too cool!

I was happy to see these molts unfold at the bottom of my tank. I should state this disclaimer...no hermies were distrubed during their molt with the snapping of these photos... [​IMG] I couldn't see as closely as I wanted when I peeked at the bottom of the tank to see where these hermies were. As they are sitting on my kitchen counter, I just quietly slid the edge of the tank over the edge of the counter and looked to see what was happening. It then occurred to me that I had a magnifying mirror and it was easier for me to see them by holding the magnified side of the mirror under the tank. So as not to disturb the hermie, I took a pic with the micro shot on the camera from the mirror image, rather than up into the tank. No bulbs were needed, so hopefully this didn't disturb the hermie too much.

Just in time, too, as Bob is now moving and more sand and EE are covering where this open spot was and it's getting harder to watch now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.