1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A pointless discussion in pronunciation of the word "Gigabyte"

Discussion in 'Game House' started by MAD, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Alright, while this game installs, I have a pointless subject to discuss:

I am an avid "Back to the Future" fan, and ever since Christopher Lloyd's character said the phrase "I need a nuclear reaction to produce the 1.21 Jigga-Watts ect..." I have always pronounced the prefix "Giga" as "Jigga"

I proceded to have the uber dork salesman at Best Buy try to correct me on the subject. I Finally broke down and asked him if he had the facts in order to prove such a statement in a court of law. I argued that good communication was produced, as he knew full well what I meant. Anyway, he fubled with his words for a few more minutes, I got bored with him and the N-vidia video card he was trying to sell me. I picked up this ATI Radeon, walked a few isles over, and asked a cute salesgirl to tell me about it, after informing her that the guy in hardware was unable to help me.

I prolly got the guy in trouble, but oh well. You never correct the customer on anything (even if they are dead wrong, like I always seem to be). Always let them think they know what they are talking about, then get your commission for selling them something they dont need.

2. ema

ema "Third Molt In Progress"

Meh. I always ignore them anyways. They always think that because I am female I must know absolutely squat about computers or even what I need ... Therefore I always assume that the salespeople there know absolutely nothing about what I need too ... So HA!

3. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Ok so why would you pronounce it Jigga instead of giga when it is giga? I would have done the same thing as the guy at the store did. I do feel the same way as ema though, they assume because I am female I don't know anything about computers. I have been actively learning about PC repair and finished my pc repair course with high honors. I just tell them I know what I am looking for and if I have any questions I will let them know. I grab what I want and leave.

4. momof2hermi_bashfull

momof2hermi_bashfull "First Molt In Progress"

To me how you pronounce the word, is a trivial meaning who cares. People from all walks of life say some words different, as long as the person you are speaking to still understands what you mean, who cares??? Just my two cents.

I am pretty computer literate myself, as both my mom and dad are both very computer savy. Dad works at IBM and one of the big wig guys w/ offices around the world. So he too, also experience a pronounciation issues.

As a female though I can relate very much to both Ema, and Chermo as they do often act if you know nothing, but unfortunately it is often the sales personnel who often is just as clueless. Just because they work there, doesn't mean they know everything.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

You just wanted to irk the guy LOL Do I have to send you to your room Mad? :chuckle:

I'm kind of stuck on pronunciation. For instance we all say direction(dur-rection) yet my oldest says it (die-rection). It irks me lol

6. imported_mommy2crabs

imported_mommy2crabs (Small Crab)

:biglaugh: I say "po-tate-o", you say "po-tat-o" :chuckle:

7. momof2hermi_bashfull

momof2hermi_bashfull "First Molt In Progress"

I can relate, my boyfriend says battery like bat-tree, totally drives me nuts I am used to battery.

That and soda being called pop. In NY I always referred to it as soda, now in Fla and in Mi its pop. URGH

8. ema

ema "Third Molt In Progress"

HA! Here in Arkansas regardless of Coca Cola, Pepsi, Sprite, Sunkist, etc it is COKE. The end! :hahahaha:

9. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

I like to say stuff like: Kitty which a very hard tt whille everyone else says kiddy with a soft dd. I do that with butter, water and several other words. It drives my sister bonkers. :cheer:

10. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

umm, I explained why I pronounce it as "Jigga" in the first post. :oops: :oops: :oops:

anyway, yeah Vick, I really dont like pesky salespeople who pretend to know things when they dont have a clue. And sure, my room is where the puter is

11. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

We love the Back To The Future movies! :woohoo:

I would have called it Jigga with you :rockon:

Since I home school my daughter, I'm of course teaching her the right way to pronounce things...it is the right way, because it is My Way :rubhands: :hahahaha:

12. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

you are all to funny, i got a funny story. When my daughter started grade 1 the teachers wanted to put her into speach therapy cos she was not pronouncing her words like all the other kids in her class. But then they met me The Aussie with the huge accent lol she had started picking up on the way i say stuff, its to cute sometimes. The teachers leave her alone now and my son. :eek:ops2:

13. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

:biglaugh: That is funny Hermiefun :straw:

I remember my English teacher telling my family "Heather do's good work" at an open house one year...she also called the library a liberry :hermez: Its funny really, I don't have an accent, most people think I'm from up north somewhere but I was born right here in Florida :hermez:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.