1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little off my hermits but...

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Emma Jean, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

Ok, most of you know that I have an insider at a Pet Smart. I help her try to find homes for the critters they have up for adoption since they sit in a back room and don't get acknowledged by the customers unless the employees say something to a customer or unless a customer asks if they have anything up for adoption. I don't agree with that tactic but if thats the way they want to do it..... Now I'm not going to go to far into detail about everything that happened, because I don't want to get her in trouble, but I have to get this off my chest in a place with people I respect.

I was trying to help her find a home for an adorable guinea pig that has brain damage from a severe inner ear infection. She has the most incredible personality I have ever come across for a guinea pig (she changed my mind about them). Anyway, we had been looking for a home for her for about a month and a half with little success and only one person that was even remotely interested but that fell through as well. So after one of the other adoptions we did with another pet went horrible wrong (I now trust no one), my rabbit died in my arms two days before that and my foster sister was adopted 4 days before that (it was a good thing but sad for me), I needed some comfort. I had my sis get her and I just couldn't put her back. Before I knew it I was signing the papers to take her home.:eek: I never learn. Well after getting her home and starting to get used to her walk and lack of balance things started going crazy. Two days later she stopped eating and I had to rush her to the vet. He said she had a severe head tilt (ear infection) and even after cleaning her ear he could not see down the canal. I had a lovely vet bill, which comes with the territory but still, and had to give her meds for quite some time. She is still off balance and walks in circles but I think the severity of her condition could have been reduced greatly if they would have taken a little bit better care of her and all had done their job. :mad:

I'm sorry I just needed to vent but I think this is ridiculous. I hope things change greatly at Pet Smarts because no animal should have to go through anything like what Tegan had to. Every store has their secrets so I shouldn't just attack Pet Smart but this was unfair for her and me. At least now I know she has a good home.

2. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

That's what we are here for! No, no animal should have to suffer just because they are stuffed away somewhere to be neglected and die. If they advertise that they have animals to be adopted, then they wouldn't make any money. Our local animal shelters have rooms for cats and dogs up for adoption at Petsmart.
    Thank you for sharing a bit about your personal life. Sometimes it helps just to say something and get it all out:eek:. Life does hurt. The Lord promises comfort to those who mourn. (I don't intend to offend anyone)
    The world needs people like you, with a big heart, to care for the meek and those who cannot defend themselves! You are an angel!:)

Do all Petsmarts have animals in the back that are up for adoption? Like hermit crabs?:D

3. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

I didn't know petsmart kept pets for adoption in the back. The petsmarts here have a room you enter to look at pets for adoption. Although all I ever see are cats...

4. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

Yes all Pet Smarts have the adoption room, in this case it's like a closet off on the side, and the cat adoptions are through a shelter so they are not the same thing. The adoption room is also their sick room so basically any sick animal goes back there and either dies or gets better. If it fully recovers they will put it back out on the floor to be bought but if the animal is not "perfect" they "put it up for adoption" (in other words it sits in the back until it dies or someone from the store takes pity on it and takes it home. I also have a pair of zebra finches that I am still trying to find a home for that I got from Pet Smart and I took the male because I felt s bad for him. He was not able to be sold with the others because he was born with a deformed foot so he sat in "back" in a cage by himself(very bad for finches). I don't however think anyone told him about his foot issue this because he sings to me every morning, hangs with his girlfriend and makes a mess outside of the cage. Normal as they come.

As far as the hermits, you can ask but my insider said that they usually only take them in back in they are out of the shell and caught before they died but I believe they unfortunately died while in "back". It never hurts to ask though to see if they have any back there. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.