1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Good Deal?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by krackersmom2, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I had a person from Craigslist respond to my wanted post for an aquarium. He is offering up a 30 gallon for $20. I wrote back and asked him a bunch of questions about it. Does anyone else feel like this is a good deal for a used tank? I've seen others offered for sale, but at heafty prices....most of them come with air pupms, tank filters etc....extras that I really don't need.

2. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

Sounds good to me. Becareful. Can I suggest meeting at a pet store or something. So many creeps out there. I have a home daycare and someone was posing like they wanted daycare out here and going in to peoples homes with their kids and other family memembers and stealing..one adult would steal while the others asked daycare questions.
    Just thought I would share. I have purchased a lot of daycare items on Craigslist but do not advertise my daycare on it. I love CL!

3. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Does it come with a hood and is in good condition? If so, take it before it's too late. If it's just a 30G tank and that's it, then I still say take it if it's in good condition. You'll just have to look around for a hood for it. 20 dollars for a 30G is very cheap in my opinion.

4. krackersmom2

I asked all those questions about any potential extras....I also added that my HUSBAND and I would need to make arrangements to meet. (Thanks for your concern about my safety) BTW I'm also in the early childhood field currently:cool:. I do a lot of Freecycle and Craigslist and I always either take my husband or invite my mom to go along. Recently I had a girl buy an original George Foreman grill from me and she wanted to meet on neutral territory. That's always fine with me. Hopefully this tank is in great shape and I'm hoping it comes with a hood, but I"ll still take it even if it doesn't. I live in a warm climate and a piece of plexiglass with a little air crack would work fine or another screen cover wrapped in plastic wrap like my ten gallon lid.

5. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Lucky find and grats! :) Stay safe!! Post pics once you decorate that thing. You did great on that 10g. My 10g still looks awful compared to yours. Haha... good thing it's only an ISO tank under my desk. One that I have only used once so far. lol

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Thats definately a good deal if its not scratched up!! Good find. I found my one 75 on craiglslist and it was in awesome condition and cheap!! :)

7. krackersmom2

The guy responded to my questions and it does come with a hood! Sweet:D

8. hermie101

hermie101 (Micro Crab)

thats a good deal for a used 30 gallon! i have a friend that has a 30 gallon and it works great.

9. krackersmom2

I'm looking forward to expanding my brood! My husband and I are going to pick it up Fri. or Sat., so hopefully in about a week it will be ready for move-in....also depends on who is up and about too.:rolleyes: I've pretty much decided that my two larger crabs will move.

10. hammy1

hammy1 Hi, I'm New Here!

i have a used 30 gal it works realy good it was 25 $

11. krackersmom2

In my new tank, I may go to the home improvement store and get a piece of plexiglass cut and make a small moss pit. What kind of moss do they like best? The safest and most cost efficient? Has anyone put one of those little batter operated waterfalls in their crabitat....I was just thinking how cool that would be! Would probably keep the water nice and fresh and the tank nice and tropical. I've considered getting an air pump and stone and making a bubble pool (a crabby spa:D).

12. krackersmom2

I'm excited, but the hubby is rolling his eyes:rolleyes:.

13. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

I want something like this in my tank. I just don't know if Vicki is still making them.
    http://www.hermitcrabsrus.com/forum/product-reviews/1593-custom-corner-docks.html
    I would really like one or two of these in my tank.

Anyone know where these docks can be purchased? I know there's the one used for showers, but it has holes in them :( I kinda just wanted one that's just a container with nothing able to drip out of.

By the way, as for moss. You can use frog moss. It comes in like a chunky pad though, rather than like a fluff. You can probably mess around with it to dismantle its original form to turn into a bedding. Frog moss IS safe. I did some research. I have a chunk in my tank, still in its original form. My crabs love to tip it over and eat the bottom part of it (brown dirt or something). It's kind of annoying, but I'm soon going to shred it up to turn into bedding for my new tank.

14. krackersmom2

I have a long oval shaped caddy in my tank. I don't recall if it has holes in it or not....they usually have holes because they are meant to let the water drain out after shower usage. I got it at my local chain "plus" grocery store....this store H-E-B is a Texas only and Texas based major grocery chain. I found it in the bath/shower asile. You could probably make one out of plexiglas and silicon sealant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.