1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A funny thing just happened.

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by OneOnion, Mar 29, 2010.

1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Ok, so earlier today I decided to re-wet my substrate as Storm was trying to dig in this particular area that was dry. So, I took out the water bowls, changed the water, and before I put the bowls back I wet the dirt a bit. So, when I put the water bowls back Storm dug under one. I thought he was going to molt, as he had been going crazy on the fresh veggies lately and walking around more than usual. Meanwhile, Clinger was getting messy in the food bowl, dragging out a whole apple slice onto the sand next to the dish that Storm was under.

One hour later, I came back to the tank, and it was bare. I tried to see if Storm was anywhere, but I couldn't find her anywhere. Then, suddenly, the apple slice started moving. Just a little nudge at first, but then it started shaking! At first I didn't know what was happening, but then I saw a small antennae pop out, then a claw, and then a leg. It was Storm. With one claw and one leg, she pulled the apple halfway down the substrate and, yup, started eating it. All you could see was 4 antennae, a leg grasping the apple slice and a claw going back and forth from the apple to Storm's mouth somewhere deeper down the hole. Man, it was too funny. She's still eating it right now, as I type. In fact, she might've dragged the whole apple slice down, I'm gonna go check.

UPDATE: He did drag the whole apple slice down. He pushed it deep down. He ate it a little more, then climbed out of the hole, pushing it down deeper and filling the hole with sand, leaving me to clean it up :rolleyes: . Then he brushed himself off(For the slobs they are, hermit crabs are good at cleaning themselves up: rubbing their eyes and antennae with their mouth parts, then cleaning the back of their shell with their antennae, and then rubbing their legs together, then licking their claws for any excess food, lifting their walking legs and cleaning them with their 4th pair of legs, repeating this in no particular order until satisfied, then lastly shaking debris and sand out of their shell.), and went back to walking around and being normal.

2. highflyer

highflyer Hi, I'm New Here!

:chuckle: These guys are always good for a laugh.

3. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

HA! It sounds like the "craken" taken down the ship! Hermit crabs do the strangest things sometimes...