1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by elissabee, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elissabee

elissabee Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello, new here. What a great resource this forum will be!

My kids were given 2 crabs while vacationing at the Jersey shore. Today I went out and spent lots of money getting them a proper home. Here's what I've done: (and then I have a bunch of questions)

10 gallon glass tank with metal screen top
    75w infrared lamp
    calci-sand mixed with FB
    two water dishes, one fresh one salt (prepared using ZooMedwater conditioners labeled for hermit crabs)
    Seashell containing commercial crab food
    big piece of driftwood
    a few pieces of mangrove wood (found by me in Aruba)
    two empty shells
    cheap thermometer and hygrometer

Now for the questions.

1. After reading up a bit here I understand that the commercial foods are not very good for the crabs. I would like to feed them something that gives them all the nutrition they need in one step. Can this be done? Can anyone recommend a quality food? Or, what can I feed from my own kitchen?

1a. I keep freshwater shrimp in my aquarium and feed them a natural "biscuit" prepared by another shrimp hobbyist. The ingredients as stated on her website are, "whole shrimp, vegetables, fruits, nettle, parsley, spirulina, garlic and all kinds of other nice and healthy things. I've chosen the best ingredients and there's nothing added just as a filler, it's 100% goodness." My instincts are telling me this would be good crab food. The biscuit itself is a rather hard, cracker-like consistency (picture here. Should I wet it before feeding?

2. I bought a heat lamp on recommendation from the woman at PetCo who said she was a hermit crab hobbyist. I'm now regretting the purchase since everything I'm reading says it's a bad idea (even though my thermometer and hygrometer have good readings). What is the preferred method of heat/light for a 10g tank?

3. How do I go about preparing salt water? I am an aquarist so I have water conditioners and Instant Ocean on hand. I just need the proportions explained.

4. Is the choya wood an absolute necessity? I am using a nice piece of driftwood with lots of nooks and crannies for the crabs to grab onto. I'm also using mangrove branches which I found on a beach in Aruba. Upon putting the crabs into the tank, one of them immediately scaled the mangrove wood and has been hanging out in it for a couple of hours now.

5. I like the idea of not having to clean the tank very often. And the tank is in my kids' room so the idea of little bugs with the FB is not very appealing. If I were to switch over to play sand when I run out of the FB/sand mixture, how often would I need to remove/replace the sand, if ever?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice you can provide!

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Duplicate Thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.