1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions. . .

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Mallie, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

Where do you guys get your cuttlebone at?
    Also, the under-the-tank heater I have says NOT to put it under the tank, but rather tape it to the side of the tank. . . so, what kind of UTH do you all use?

And finally, what kinds of plants are safe to put into the cage? I am sure there are some fake plants that shouldn't be place with hermies, but what kinds are okay for them?

Okay, not finally. . . Is there any benifit to having a bubble pool?

Big <3's

~Mallie~

//Edit: Oh yeah, one more. . . (sorry, heh) I use Natural Spring Water + API Stress Coat (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Stress Coat Water Conditioner) - Is this a little overkill?

2. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I get my cuttlebone at the pet store in the bird section and it's pretty cheap. I use the UTH mat type heaters (Repti-therm is the brand I believe) and I don't put them under the tank...I have one on each side of the tank and alternate which one is on (to provide a warm side and a cool side all the time). I don't know much about the fake plants...I get mine at the pet store in the reptile section and haven't had any problems (although I did soak them in salt water first). I do not use any stress coat in my water...for fresh water I use distilled and for salt water I add oceanic sea salt to the distilled water.
    Welcome to HCRU!!!! Enjoy!!!

3. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

tengo cangrejos ermitaños (Small Crab)

I would like to add that if you purchase fake plants from places such as Michaels, beware of ones that have metal wiring inside the vines/stems.

4. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I get my cuttlebone from the grocery store in the pet section and as for plants, I just buy them from the dollar store. They have so many neat varieties. As Tengo said though, there is wiring in them...just make sure none is exposed. I've never had a problem.

5. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

I thought distilled water was really bad for hermits.

From what I understand, they suck literally EVERYTHING out of it - we use to use in my chem class all the time. Distilled water is nothing but H2O molecules.

6. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

That's why it's important to provide them a calcium supplement and a nutrient rich diet. I use distilled b/c then I know there's nothing in it but water!!!

7. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I use UTHs. They're Repti Therm made by Zoo Med. Zoo Med gives a lot of instructions and warnings on exactly how to use it. I have one under the tank and one on the side, aligned with the bottom of the tank. I also have a Zoo Med Rheostat with dual receptacles to control the heat. I have 5 thermometers, which I'll put in various places in the habitat every few days just to make sure the heat is within the proper range and the cool spot in the middle isn't too cold.

For my ISO tank, which is one of those start-up kinds and thus plastic, I also have a Repti Therm RH-7 Mini Heater that is meant for use of plastic terrariums.

I've had very good results with all of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.