1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions about care.

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by newcrabber, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcrabber

newcrabber "Never Molted"

I have calciium carbonate sand and just bought the block of coconut fiber that you hydrate with water. Do you keep them seperate or do you mix the sand and fiber stuff together. I put the fiber in a bowl aboaut 7 inches by 9 inches and the sand is around it. TThe bowl takes up about 1/3 if the habitate. The sand is dry. Do I keep that dry if it is not mixed with the fiber?

I finally got something to measure humitity and temp. The temp is staying about 70-72 degrees, and the humiditiy is 80. I think those are fine.

Also, how deep do I need to have the sand and fiber. My sand and fiber are both about 2-1/2 inches deep. The largest crab is alittle smaller than a golf ball, with his shell and body. One more thing, I have five crabs and ten empty shells. Is that enough.

Thanks for everything. Ths site is habit forming.
    Laura

2. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

It should be deep enough for your largest crab to bury and be completely covered

3. heather77

heather77 (Micro Crab)

We use two different types of bedding you may want to use 2/3 of the tank sand and 1/3 the fiber. You can cut a piece of plexie glass to divid the two. or get help putting in the two different substrates. so that way maybe someone could hold something to divid the areas while you pour in the different substrates and then they would kinda meet where you want them.

On the shells the rule of thumb that I have heard is atleast two empty shells for each crab at the least. ( I have found that some crabbies can be quite picky) So ten would be the least number of shells that you would want for 5 crabs. I would consider getting more when you could.

On the humitity I think that is fine but I am still learning. it also depends on where your heat sorce is if any ( a light at the top or undertank heater) then what part of the tank are you getting the reading from.thats what I have read any way. Hopefully some one else can help you there.

4. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

i use half EE and Half Sand, the depth of sand is 4-5 inches with also a Giant moss pit in the middle the crabs really seem to love the giant moss pit, a few of them never leave that . lol

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

You might want to use playsand. The calci sand tends to clump and smell when wet. Some seperate the two, others will combine.

70-72 is on the low side, if you can bump it up to 78 or 80. My E's like it at 82.

You can never have enough shells lol I have a bin of shells that I switch in and out of the tank when I clean. Mine are in a variety of sizes since I have micro to mediums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.