1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few Noob Questions

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by cloie74, Sep 17, 2009.

1. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Sooooooooo my family is very new to the hermit crab world and it AMAZES me how mis-informed the people that sell them are! We got ours at a guy that sets up a booth at a local indoor market place. Of course they are all painted shells with things like Dora and Spongebob to draw people in which is EXACTLY what got us to buy them (Until I read and watched the horrifing videos!) Anyway this guy sells you 3 crabs in a 5 gallon plastic carry tank thingy with a coco hut food, a sea shell for food dish and a sponge.
    The substrate is gravel. And your off...no more info other than dont feed it citrus or dairy, I left there feeling like we had just bought a Gremlin and terrible things would happen if we did not listen to this man lol
    3 days later one of the crabs started losing legs I mean like 1 every hour it was HORRIFYING! I looked it up, probably stress and to ISO him, he was dead the next morning poor thing. The GOOD thing that came out of it was that I started READING everything and anything I could get my hands on about owning this wonderfuly entertaining pet! MAN was that guy all wrong!!!!
    I want to go there and steal every crab he has (Which is about 400 in a chicken wire cage with no substrate at aALL.)
    ANYWAY...they are now in a 20 gallon tank with playground sand as substrate, graded so there is room for them to bury themselves, they have fresh and salt water bowls and we feed them the food the guy gave us AND whatever we had for dinner that night. They are so entertaining to watch!  We loved the 3 we had so much that we went and got more! We now have 9 and we are looking to get a bigger tank for more toys and stuff.
    My question is this, we got the new 6 on Sunday from the same guy I have a UTH on the side of my tank, I have the day glow heatlamp in the tank hood and the water bowls in there for humidity, I have temp/humidity guages and they are both always about 70-80. The new ones are buring themselves.... I thought they were molting so I moved one of them to an ISO tank and he did bury himself but came up that night... so I put him back in the tank with the others and he ate and stayed above ground for a while but the next morning he was buried again, most of the new crabs are doing this, but they always come back to surface. what should I do??

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Try to leave them alone for a few weeks. They are stressed so they are burying themselves to destress and coming out to eat and drink at night. Maybe a few molters. most of us do not iso our crabbies when they molt just let them do it in the main tank. Make sure they have plenty of calcium,and protein,fruit and veggies,meat, fish etc.... to eat. Don't feed them seasoned food. If you have no calcium boil an egg with declorinated water give them the shell and a little of the egg. There are links on this sight of foods you can give them and what not to under NUTRITION. You will have others giving you good advice. Listen to them all.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Please read the sticky- "I got new crabs now what do I do" it will help immensely - I think its in the general section

4. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Horrible what they tell you eh?
    That exactly what happened to me. I was on vacation and there was about 500 crabs in a chicken wire cage. They give you a mini cage, a handful of gravel, a sponge...

You shouldnt feed them commercial food, even if you feed them good food as well. I used to feed them commercial food with other food too a while back, until I was told on here that it wasn't good for them. :)

Anyways, good luck with your new crabbies :hermzpoo: