1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few food questions

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by CJ, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Hi, everyone!
    Happy Spring! [​IMG]

As it gets warmer, better fruits and veggies become available in my part of the world. This is exciting as I learn what to share with the hermies, and my parrot likes to taste test, too!
    Are strawberries okay to feed the hermies?

Any suggestions on what I can plant in my organic garden for the hermies? I usually have romaine lettuce and fresh spinach greens.

Are these foods okay to share with the hermies?

Thanks! cj

2. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Strawberries are fine, mine like them. They weren't real enthused with cucumber. I've been meaning to try green beans, but, well..they were so good I ate them all myself. lol.

Romaine is good, but I would go easy on the spinach...it contains oxalates that bind to calcium. (Or something like that, I'm working off the top of my head here). This is not to say that it's bad for them, but I wouldn't make it a regular part of their diet.

Do you have a copy of the All-Natural Hermit Crab Sourcebook? It has a great list of all kinds of things that are good for them. You can get it at http://www.petdiscounters.com

3. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

4. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Ooh, thanks Julia Crab, I'm joining your group now. [​IMG]

5. CJ

Ally and Kerie,

Thank you! Thank you! I'm now a member of epicurian_hermit. Yeah!! What wonderful information!

That "meaning to give some to my mini-zoo gang but having to eat them all myself because they're so good" happens at my house, too! lol
    Only my cockatoo screams, "Good boy! Good boy!"
    or "I love you", with his little foot grasping frantically at the air, to be sure he gets a taste, if he sees me eating something he'd like to try. The cockatoo and the hermies eat many of the same foods, actually.

I usually have green beans, cucumber, sugar snap peas, cantlope, watermelon, tomatoes, peppers and kohlrabi in the garden. Last summer I planted sunflowers and harvested many seeds. I also began some herbs last summer. I'll see if they come back this year. And I'll also study to see if I can add anything for the mini-zoo gang.

I saw other posts that said how much their hermies like apples. Mine aren't too zizzed by them. Don't seem too interested in the honey, either. They like mango and grapes, though.

6. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Mine have been absolutely "zizzed" (I like that word LOL) by persimmons. I bought some dried (not freeze dried) for my kids to munch on and decided to cut some up for the crabs and every single time I offer them they scarf them up. I spritz them with a bit of dechlor fresh water and let them sit to soften a bit before I put them in the tank.

7. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

Mine love Sugar Snap Peas (grew them last year) and raisins, grapes and pumpkin.

8. CJ

Jodie,
    Did you give your hermies steamed or raw peas?
    And did you give them the outer casing as well as the peas?

And cooked or raw pumpkin?

Wendy,
    I don't think I've ever tasted persimmons. What is it like?

cj [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.