1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A creepy co-worker (Picture, 2" Black Widow)

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by MAD, Oct 3, 2007.

?

What should MAD do with his new friend?

1. Take a bunch of pictures, then make a habitat out of a large jar and keep her

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Put her outside in a field somewhere

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Euthanize her and her brrod in a humane way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Alright, I have "Rescued" a GORGEOUS spidey from co-workers who wanted her dead.

(By the way, we are talking about a glossy black spider, about 1" diameter, with a red hourglass marking on her abdomen, complete with a fresh egg-sack) This is the biggest Black Widow I have ever seen.

I have no revulsions to spideys. (aside from brown recluse, they are kill on sifght. Widows are fine)

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Re: A creepy co-worker

I know theres members on here who love spiders, but I say set her FREE!! :chuckle:

3. jugger

jugger "Preparing For Third Molt"

We had a big ol' widow down in the crawlspace last year. She didn't bother us and we didn't bother her!

4. MAD

well, some of the people i work with wouldnt let her be. While they went off to find bug spray, I scooped her up into a sample bottle and hid her in the lab

[img width=300 height=224]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ArchmasterZeta/P1010082.jpg[/img]
    I look at this picture and i see a desperate mom trying to protect her kids. Sometimes I just hate people

what am I supposed to do? smash her?!?!?!? :sad5: :sad5: :sad5: :sad5: :sad5: :sad5: :sad5: :sad5:

5. tara

tara "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

:sad5: awwwww...she's beautiful, just make a nice dark little home for her in a terrarium and let her take care of her babies.

6. MAD

nah, the risk of her or a kid getting out and biting fat muffin or the doctor is to high.
    (She prolly wont hurt me, but she could easilly kill my cats)

I let "Lolth" go this morning next to an old unused storage building. As I did, I noticed little babies running around.....

7. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Oh YAY! Thanks for letting her go!

I'd have taken her... but I would guess you live a bit farther than I would drive!

My hubby rescued a widow before she was killed, the other peeps tore open the egg sac and destroyed the eggs. The empty sac was given back to her and she brought it back up, put it in her web and seemed so happy and sad at the same time!

:rockz:

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

THEY KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!! lets get the cute factor in perspective here :idunno:

9. starmaiden

starmaiden "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

:lies1: Lets really put this in perspective. How many people are killed by dogs, horses, bears, or even other people each year and we still 'oooh and ahhh over a puppy, colt, bear cub or human baby? ::)

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

that is rare- and unexpected they are not meant to be killers- the widow was born a killer and is known as a killer and I never say how cute when it comes to bears or people for that matter :hahahaha:
    MAD just posted how a man was killed by his pet spidey! a blk widow spidey! :eek:mg:

11. starmaiden

Hmmm...my dad has millions of black widows in his shop. He squishes them with his bare thumb sometimes when he's feeling mean (not something I advocate). They don't jump and attack. They mind their own business--build webs, catch flies from the nearby dairies.

I wouldn't sit and play with one with my bare hands, they are poisonous and I respect that, but there's nothing 'killer' about them. They don't go looking for people to kill.

Now I have to find that post of MADs. ;)

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

I dont squish spiders unless they are in the house. I will tell hubby to get rid of a black widow though, even if it's outside since we have the kids and dogs out there alot. Other then that, I tell the kids to let the bugs be outside since this is their home and we are playing on their turf. My house my rules tho LOL

My grandma can't squish a bug, she will gently scoop the bug into a tissue and then take it outside. She then leans over her porch and releases said bug to be free. However, her porch is 3 stories up and the ground in cement. Not sure how free the bug is once it lands :hahahaha:

13. starmaiden

The bug probably lands unharmed due to the fact that its weight /surface area ratio provides enough air resistance to parachute it safely to the ground. We would go splat because we are too heavy compared to our surface area.

I'm with your grandma. I can't smash anything in the house. (cept the fresh crickets I feed to the hermit crabs, but they live the good life until I kill 'em) I usually leave things in the house alone. I figure the spiders in the house are doing me a favor by catching the mosquitoes. So yeah, I have some webs in corners if you look closely. But if its in an inconvenient place (like the bathtub) I catch it and let it go outside.

14. vckums

vckums Moderator

I never thought of it that way Star. Thanks for explaining that!!

15. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Guilty of that too :yes2: We have one right inside the front door... and it stays there just to catch the other buggies that try to come in, works great too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.