1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Cool Crabby Story from Key West......

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by *Kathy*, Jan 22, 2007.

1. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

I have a friend who's sister-in-law is a veterinarian in Key West, Florida. Her name is Christy. She recently came up here for a visit, and my other friend jokingly asked her if she had brought up any hermies. She also asked if Christy ever saw the purple pinchers running around down there.

Well, apparently, not only does she SEE them, she pretty much has to LIVE with them! They often times are all over her back porch, eating the dog & cat food. They run around her yard, and she sometimes sees them hanging from the window screens. Now mind you.....she does NOT live on the beach, but rather, she lives several blocks away. This isn't continuous, but it seems like periodically, she is over-run with them!

She told a story, similar to the ones we have heard before, about the lack of shells for these guys. She had a rather large PP on her back porch. He wasn't wearing a shell, but instead, was wearing a child's plastic teacup. (You know, from those little girl tea sets they sell.) She offered the poor guy some spare shells that she always keeps on hand. He quickly took one & was off on his merry way!

Christy doesn't keep hermits as pets....guess she doesn't need to!

2. veltish

veltish Guest

oh wow! that's gotta be neat to see them all the time in the wild like that.. im sure if any of us lived there we would have a problem. i picture it being similar to the"dont fee dthe deer" problem we have up north here. i can just picture the big bowls of hermit food we would offer for them every day and the hords of crabs running around in the yards!! :chuckle:

my friend went to jamaica and when she came back she was over for a visit and to give some suveniers( spelling??)..anywho.. i showed her the hermit tank and if i remember..this is an EXACT quote.. "OH MY GOSH!! I swear those things were out to get me"..  she's not a big animal person and i guess they were very rare to be troublesome at the beach she was going to .. but they were always everywhere she went. she said one night the door of her hotel was being"guarded" by 4 huge hermit crabs... she said she felt liek she was  in a horror movie.. i told her.. well. if it were me.. it woulda been a little piece of heaven to me!!! lol... i cant wait to take my trip down south!!!!!!!!!!

3. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

Why keep them as pets when you can just play with them in your back yard and they don't cost you anything!?!?!? That is too cool!

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

That is way cool!!!!!!  :cheesygrin:

5. starmaiden

starmaiden "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Very cool! If I ever get to do some traveling, I know where I'm headed! :shuffle:

6. kbgrace

kbgrace (Micro Crab)

Now that's my cup of tea!

We camped in the keys several times when we lived in Florida and it wasn't unusual to see hermies quite often near our camp.  Not any in teacups though!  Loved the hermies and wildlife in Florida - but some were best at a distance.  I did not like the alligators in the pond at the end of our block or in the canals.  :thumbdown: