1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

>_< should i or not???

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by cluelesscrabber, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cluelesscrabber

cluelesscrabber (Micro Crab)

HI! i just got my user name instead of being here as a guest. my "guest name" was 10yroldguest, and i can prove it; i've got 3 crabs, shelby, an inactive one, is currently going thru postmolt and i have 2 others in the main tank: dribble and hushie.

anyways, my problem....
    see, i think i have plenty room so i'm getting a 4th crab. but not just buying one. i'm going to find a horrible petstore, find the saddest looking crab, buy it, and then save its life. the thing is my only ISO that has any substrate is a teeny-weeny little tank that's already occupied. by my post-molter. i was wondering if it's ok NOT to isolate new crabs. my 3rd crab was bought seprate from the other 2, and i just placed him in the main tank. he acclimated well. so should i isolate the new one (which i already plan to call Ace) or what??

2. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

you dont have to isolate your molter, just make sure theres plenty of calcium

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

One of the biggest reasons to isolate is because of disease. There's no way to tell if a crab has something, so it's a good idea to keep them separate for a while. Also, you are less likely to have a problem with agression if the new crab has had time to adjust to living in a place with adequate food and shells. Proper nutrition is very important for preventing agression in general, especially when it comes to protein. I don't isolate molters, but I do isolate new crabs for at least four weeks.

It's very honorable that you want to save the crab with the greatest need, but unfortunately crabs in poor shape are very likely to die. And supporting pet stores that do a bad job just encourages them to stock more crabs. Also, choosing a crab that is healthy-looking (you can't ever tell for sure) and active may save that crab from becoming one of the sick and dying crabs after a few weeks of pet store neglect. Just a little food for thought. [​IMG]

4. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Listen to Moire...she knows all!

Seriously, ISO is a good thing. You say your ISO is currently used by a post-molt? Is he up and about? Shell reformed? If so, then you can reintroduce him to your main Crabitat, and then put Ace (love the name...may borrow it someday) in the ISO.

Picking a mistreated one is tough, because like Moire said, they are so stressed that they can die on you. I bought Checker, who was missing a leg, cause he was cute, injured...AND was still climbing UPSIDE-DOWN on a piece of driftwood. Maybe you could find a Checker too. A missing leg can be regrown,if he's well taken care of, in a molt or three. I'm hoping to see Checker as a full fledged decapod again sometime in the next year or so. What do you call a critter with 9 legs anyway??

Good Luck

[​IMG]

5. cluelesscrabber

i suppose ur right pineapplemaina...but shelby's exo is STILL pink and it concerns me that the other crabs could harm her (as i read on hermit-crabs.com) but if her exo is good by march i'll let shelby out and get ace. another option i have is get ANOTHER pound of sand to place in the spare tank and isolate ace in there...but my mom and dad and i have VERY different opinions on hermit care, they still belive the trow away pet thing [​IMG] they may not get more sand so I'll have to make do with what i have...

6. pineapplemama

What kind of sand are you getting that comes in one pound bags? I've read that calci-sand is stinky, and doesn't hold humidity as well as plain old playsand -- check out the hardware store or walmart...it like $3 for a 50lbs bag!!

When I was a kid the pets we had were my mom's...she bred dogs...so I never really had any say in their care...except that I got to pick up the poo...woopie doo...so all I can say about the parents attitude is PROVE THEM WRONG! You are doing a great job so far, and by joining this group have proven that you plan to learn everything you can to give your babies the best life possible...

Keep on Trucking... [​IMG]

Crystal

7. moire_eel

The info on hermit-crabs.com isn't wrong, but it hasn't been updated in a while. There are some dedicated hobbists (our moderators here Kali_Ma -- aka Julia Crab, and Kuplakrabs being among them) who have put a lot of work into understanding land hermit crabs' nutritional requirements in the past year or so, and this has changed many people's minds about what is best (mine included, obviously!) I have never had an attack in my tank, and I have never isolated a molter. But I pay a lot of attention to my crabs' nutrition, and I have a large tank.

Pineapplemama's right about the sand -- if you are on a tight budget, you want the playsand (and you don't want calci-sand no matter what your budget is).

8. cluelesscrabber

no calci sand....i know it's not the best substrate EVER, but since my parents already bought so much (about 5lbs at 3-5 $ per 1 lb. bag) they will probably say :
    1. you already have enough sand
    2. you are obsessed with hermit crabs
    3. you don't need all that sand

my parents are like that sometimes [​IMG]

9. cluelesscrabber

That's true; a sick crab will probably die, so I will perhaps choose a healthy crab in poor conditions rather than a sick crab in any conditions.

10. cluelesscrabber

shelby's doing alright, but i isolated her because of something i think i forgot to mention...
    i have one hermie who is nuts; he doesn't pick on his buddies, but he can sometimes be seen climbing all over Hushie, who is the same size, more or less, as him. I'm not sure if it's anything to be worried about, but i just isolated shelby as a precaution. i was a little bit worried that dribble (the crazy one) could pick on shelby now that she's vunerable. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. moire_eel

The issue could be not enough shells in Dribble's size, or a lack of protein in his diet. Do you have lots of extra shells in his size, and some just a shade bigger? And if you're feeding commercial crab foods, your crabs probably aren't getting enough protein. Try putting some unseasoned meat, fish or other seafood in the tank at least once a week.

12. cluelesscrabber

well, Dribble doesn't really attempt to STEAL the shells . i will follow moire_eel's suggestions and put some natural treats into the tank more often..also, i should have more shells, perhaps I'll get some more this week.

13. pineapplemama

Crabby dispositions..hehe pun...aka aggression is usually caused by something lacking in the diet area. Such as protien or calcium. I give mine some (unseasoned but cooked) chicken, fish, pork chops and/or organic peanut butter at least 2-3 times each week. For calcium I use a cuttlebone...which last I checked was being munched on my my latest molter. So it looks like that works. Plus those cuttlebone things are only like 99c!! You have all that calcisand...you could sprinkle that on top of their food.

Anywho, enough ramble!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.