1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8-19 hermies in one day!

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Missy, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

Do you know if leaving them in 90+ humidity will harm them? I live in Ontario (CA)

and today's forecast was

Temperature: 46 °F
    Comfort level: 42 °F
    Dew point: 45 °F
    Barometer: 29.79 "Hg
    Humidity: 93%
    Visibility: 15 mi

Although its getting cold I still haven't closed my windows yet because I like the ventilation it gives the room so I also run an extra heater in the room to keep it warm but allow air flow from outside to come inside. Could this be the reason why my humidity keeps sky rocketing? I noticed if I get my room to about 29 Celsius yes extremely hot! it gets really dry in the room then I can keep my humidity at a constant 75. The EE has added a lot of humidity to the tank but I'm afraid a little too much. Any suggestions? A thermostat wouldn't help me would it? Sorry for the 101 questions but you guys are really the best help there is out there.

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

A good humidity range is 74* to 80*. The Strawberry type of hermit crab seems to like it at the higher humidity level (80*)
    Too much humidity can literally cause a hermit crab to "drown". They have gills and when these become too moist, the moisture due to excessive humidity causes wet conditions thus causing them extreme distress. Too high humidity also causes bacteria to bloom in the tank, which is not good.

How moist do you keep your substrate? I would also try different openings of your lids until you find one that can help with controlling the humidity.
    It can be a challenge sometimes... :flower:

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Yes, Missy, a cooler temperature with X amount of water vapor in the air will have a higher humidity reading than a warmer temperature with X amount of water vapor in the air. A warmer temperature causes molecules to move around faster, thus needing more water vapor to register the same humidity level.

4. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

:eek:mg: Okay so the humidity has been sky-rocketing to the 90s so I left a large crack so it wouldn't get out of hand. Anyhow after being away for about 6 hours or so I msg'd my bf to go check on them and the guy in ISO just to make sure everything was okay had a funny feeling. Anyhow he gets home to find Alvin hanging outside the tank just about to runaway! There were no items for him to climb and reach the top of the tank however I believe he managed to glide along the edges and climbed his way to the opening lol. what a clever clever clever and sneaky crab! I gotta get this humidity thing sorted out asap! lol :eeeek:

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

You could get a screen/mesh lid to put under the plexi to keep that from happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.