1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8.0 repti glo

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by HERMEZ, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

makes the tank even dimmer than it was before--stupid me after spending $28 to think it would be brighter............ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    anyone else have 8.0 what the heck! it has a purpley glow to it==I remember thinking the same with the 5.0 I used in the 75 that had a bluish hue--I dont "see" that so much anymore or maybe I am used to it. :dontknow:

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

From what I remember about a thread a long time ago, it doesnt throw off light like a regular bulb does. It's just for the rays. Unless I'm totally wrong, and I could be LOL....

I'm thinking I need another hood cause my temp is dropping a bit...

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

well you are most likely right the 2.0 is the brightest then the 5.0 and this 8.0 I might as well wear a miners hat to see what the heck I am doing :chuckle:

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Take it back to the store :pffftt:

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I want them to be UVB'd up!!!!!!! :dontknow: I wanted a 10.0 sheesh there is another brand I might try for the 75 its reptisun not glo.........maybe that will liven up the tank! :tongue3:

6. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Oh please take a pic of that! :duck:

I can already see it in my mind!

7. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Joey what I wont do for these crabs right! LOL :pointandlaugh:

8. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

I had a repti-sun bulb. It made the tank YELLOW, and all the crabs looked like they had liver disease. :oops:

Since I am currently using TWO light fixtures on my tanks to add light to them, I wonder if I could use a repti-glo 8.0 in one of the fixtures, and a 2.0 in the other?

9. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OH I dont want yellow either..............man :headscratch: what the heck :steamed:

10. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

i have the same one, repti-glo 8.0 (which i only paid $15.00 for through http://www.herpsupplies.com/). no, it's not very bright. like vicki mentioned, i think it's just for the UV rays as opposed to lighting. i have a 60 watt dayglo that helps a little with that but i also have to up my bulb wattages as it's freaking FREEZING here now.

this morning when i left for work, it was 14F outside with windchill it's going down to 0 or below. the high's forecasted for the next couple of days will only be in the 20s. god, i can't wait to retire and move to FL.

11. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

The number for the bulbs, expecially if your using flouresent tubes is simply the uv ray rating. A rating of 2.0 is typically for forest dwelling pets. 5.0 is for tropical animals and is what I am going to be getting for the crabs. Ratings of 7.0, 8.0 and 10.0 are for more desert dwelling animals that require a higher level of uvb to produce D3.

The ratings go the same for the twisty type bulbs that have the common "edison" screw-in. I belive those may be brighter, but I'm not positive on that.

If you get a double flouresent fixture, try one of the flouresent tubes you can get at most stores that are labled for plants. They put off a fair amount of light that does resemble sunlight.

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

You so smart! :hail: I need to go get another hood, guess what bulbs Im getting LOL

13. froggz37

lol blame it on horticulture and herp experience lol. I'm saving for another hood myself, to get a coiled uvb lamp thats got to be around 10.0 for a sandfish when it comes into the petstore.

14. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

This may sound really silly, but what the heck! What's a sandfish :shuffle:

15. froggz37

A sandfish is a small member of the skink family that is strictly desert dwelling. They "swim" through the sand and thats why they are called a sandfish. They have a shovel shaped face and are quite calm and interesting. Besides high temperatures and high levels of uv rays they are relatively easy to keep. A variety of insects will do for the diet and daily mising and a small water bowl do for moisture.

16. CrabbyChris22

speaking of interesting animals, i saw something at an aquarium store yesterday that was odd looking, but strangely cute too. it was called a mudskipper, here are some links i just found. it's like a combination fish and frog looking thing. like i said, kinda cute, i think i want some, lol.

Card 5
    Wikipedia
    tiscali.reference

i just scanned one of the articles and found they are a member of the Goby family. no wonder i think the mudskipper is cute 'cause i think gobies are the cutest fish.

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

skink family huh...couldn't name it something else lol

Sounds interesting, got pics?

18. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Ya know, it just occured to me....I am using the repti-glo's for UVB rays. But I don't have anything that is UVA. I am already running two light fixtures on both large tanks, so I am not adding another one.

On the two smaller tanks, I am only using a dayglow, and a night glow. I have no idea if the dayglow is UVA or UVB. Great....I have no clue what type of radiation I am giving them....watch them grow sets of califlower ears or somethin'! :doh:

19. CrabbyChris22

dayglo's contain UVA i believe. Here's what it says at Herp Supplies on the Dayglo I bought: "Broad spectrum daylight spot lamps for terrariums; use to create a basking area for thermo-regulation. Beneficial UVA rays are thought to stimulate breeding behavior."

it doesn't say how much UVA it contains though.

20. froggz37

Chrispy's right on the dayglow bulbs having uva. I'm pretty sure alot of uvb tubes also provide uva.

UvA is in alot of daylight incandesent bulbs because many herps actually see better with uva rays. The uvb is what the body uses to synthesize vitamin D.

The incandesent lights, (edison screw in style) almost never have uvb unless they are one of the coiled flouresents. I havent found one yet that has uvb thats a normal looking lightbulb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.