1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

78 too hot?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by jtswife, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtswife

jtswife "First Molt, A Success"

It warmed up here in IL. My crabs are use to 74-75 temp, the tank temp went up to 78, is that too much for them? I even turned off my crabitat lights.:confused:

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Nope thats perfectly fine! Can ya send some warmth to California please!

3. jtswife

It's cold there? We have been cold. Also what should the humidity be when it is 78?:)

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

The crabitat needs to be between 72 - 84 degrees farenheit temperature and relative humidity recommended 74 - 82%

its not freezing but it aint sunny!

5. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

I dunno i usually have my tank between 68 and 74 and my crabs seem to be happy and my humidity is a constant 80%

6. jtswife

Thanks guys! I will keep that in mind:)

I use to live in CA., once upon a time in a galaxy far away! With the weather changing so much, I bet it is cooling down a bit.:)

"It aint springtime in Chicago" LOL

mybtrflys3 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Itsy your's is a bit on the low side, try to bump it up a bit.

It looks really overcast and I want sun!

8. Itsy

i have no way to bump it up if you read in my 911 post i dont even have money for sand right now i feel like a terrible crab mommy.

9. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

tengo cangrejos ermitaños (Small Crab)

Itsy They'll be Ok for the time it takes for you to be able to up it a bit IMO. My first crabs when I was a youngster (i say it like Im 100 years old LOL) never had any heat source, and some days between spring and summer when it was too warm for the house heat to kick in it would be like 66 degrees in my room (and the 'tat too) They all are still alive with me today. I wouldn't keep it that way permanently, but you should be ok in the mean time.

10. Itsy

Im trying keeping a blanket wrapped around the tank aswell as one underneath so i dont lose any heat for my crabbies i managed to bump it up to 74 and have had it that way for a few days now my crabbies seem more active aswell. I have a towel down in the tank and am keeping that moist until i can get sand next friday. My crabs actually really seem to like the towel to there climbing all over it i made a cave out of a towel aswell and there climbing all over the top of it and hiding in it there also going nuts on the choya wood i have in there they never really paid any attention to it before.

11. MiyokoDosei

MiyokoDosei (Micro Crab)

when I was starting out with making mine a permanent 'tat, I got a regular heating pad with a built in timer for about $10 and I let it sit on for about an hour, then I'd check the temp and if it was warm enough, I'd turn it off, and wait another hour or so and turn it back on. kind of a quick fix for heat, but if you want to up the humidity, put a dish of water inside it, and when the tank warms, the water will evaporate and condense on the walls of the tank. That's what I'm doing for my crabs, and they love it~!

and if you want sand... go to walmart or a hardware store, and you can pick up a 20lb bag for about 2 or 3 dollars. It'll last you a while and it's cheap.

12. Itsy

yeh i got sand a while back now its fine grain but since ive gotten it my crabs are so acticve it also holds heat better and my babies love digging in it. Ive also had 3 molts since i put it in and one problem where DOB lost a leg but im thinking it was a shell fight even though theres close to 5 shells per crab!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.