1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greengreen

greengreen Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi!
    I'm new!
    I don't have hermit crabs, but I think I would like to. There is a 187cm foot tank I have my eye on.
    I live in Melbourne. (Australia)
    I have two main questions
    How many crabs could I keep in a 6 foot tank?
    Is it possible to keep humidity at a good level without a glass lid? (good level for Australian Land Hermit crabs, Coenobita variabilis)

I will, of course, have done a lot of research and have everything perfect with my tank before I even -think- of bringing hermies home, so I'll know if i can get the humidity up high enough without a glass lid anyway, but I'd like to know first if anyone has managed it, or is it pretty certain I'll need to sort out a glass lid. Remember I'm talking Australian land hermies. What is the best humidity for them? Same as for everyone else, 70-80?

anywho, hello all! :)

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

[FONT=arial, verdana]Hermit Crab Care Checklist

[FONT=arial, verdana]Hermit crabs are a fun, fascinating exotic pet. Hermit crabs will provide endless amusement, from feeler wars to acrobatic climbing, hole digging, staring at you with those beady eyes, and general crabitat mayhem. Hermit crabs breathe through modified gills, and require that their gills be moist at all times. Therefore, the humidity of the crab tank needs to be kept high or they will slowly suffocate. Below 65% is dangerous (but above 85% promotes mold). Hermit crabs come from tropical regions, and need to stay warm. If the temperature falls below 70 degrees, they become dormant. Hermit crabs have soft, delicate abdomens, and protect them by wearing discarded shells. Hermit crabs spend much of their lives on ocean beaches, and require salt water in addition to fresh water. Finally, hermit crabs grow by molting - the process of shedding their exoskeleton and growing a new one. They require a deep, moist substrate they can bury in, a good calcium source, and high humidity to survive this difficult process.

The official Hermit Crab Association recommends the following supplies (can be found at The Hermit Shack) in order to ensure the health, happiness, and longevity of your hermit crabs:

A friend! Hermit crabs are social and will get lonely without a friend or two or ten.
    Glass aquarium or terrarium (plastic/wire cages don’t hold in warmth and humidity).
    Glass or plexi-glass cover for the aquarium to keep in humidity.
    Humidity gauge (hygrometer) to make sure the tank stays around 70-80% relative humidity.
    Temperature gauge (thermometer) to make sure the tank stays around 75-85 degrees F.
    Low-wattage (15-25W) incandescent moon-glow, night-glow bulbs or under-tank heater for heat.
    Playsand or compressed coconut fiber as a substrate, at least twice as deep as your largest crab, and kept moist. Crabs need to bury themselves to molt and relieve stress, and also for fun.
    Extra shells - at least 2 of each size needed by your crabs, with round or oval openings the same size as the big pincher - to allow them to grow up, have fun shell-shopping, and to prevent shell fights.
    Food dish filled with ethoxyquin-free/copper sulfate-free commercial crab food, fresh or dried fruits and veggies, whole grain foods, cooked egg, meat, and fish, and dried shrimp/plankton (no dairy).
    Crushed cuttlebone or calcium-sand sprinkled in the food as a calcium supplement.
    Freshwater bowl (non-metal) with a sponge (so smaller crabs don’t drown).
    Tap water conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals.
    Saltwater bowl with a sponge (to maintain the proper salinity of their internal and shell water).
    Marine salt found with saltwater aquarium supplies (not table salt, it is harmful to crabs). Additionally, the saltwater must also be dechlorinated
    Climbing toys, such as cholla wood, cork bark, coral, driftwood, and wicker baskets.
    Hiding shelters such as half-logs, caves, and coco-huts (to feel safe and relieve stress).
    Foliage such as fake plants or true terrarium moss (not Spanish/decorative moss).
    [/FONT]​
    [/FONT]

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

A plexiglas lid usually works. If you've got a SIX FOOT TANK!! that's probably a go 120 gallons or so. My 5 foot one is 120 but it's several feet back. SO you can probably hold about 30 hermies. A lot of people will say you can keep 50 ( I'm not saying they are wrong) but I prefer to give them more room as you would have to make use of all the gallons by making several layers of shower caddies. I'm not usre how tall your tank is so you'd have to give me the dimensions. Also, I started out with a really plimsy plexiglas lid on my tank. It bent a little but I could not afford a thick one. It kept in the humidity quite well. I don't know what the wheather is like where you live but if I were you I'd check because you maybe be in someplace where the temp and humidity is perfect. A flimsy lid on my 4 foot tank cost me $13. I would imagine about $20 spent for a weak top, probably $30 for a stoger one. They can cut ut to your dimensitons at home depot or lowes.
    Hope this helps.

4. Hermies4Ever

Why does CoolDoggy10 have so many hermies? Her tank isn't big enough for the number of hermies she currently has.

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I don't know. She would need this six foot tank but this is about a six foot tank in like AUstralia, not cooldoggy,

6. Hermies4Ever

I know, and I shouldn't have changed the subject on this thread. I am sorry.

7. Hermies4Ever

Hermit Crab Care Checklist[FONT=arial, verdana]

[FONT=arial, verdana]Hermit crabs are a fun, fascinating exotic pet. Hermit crabs will provide endless amusement, from feeler wars to acrobatic climbing, hole digging, staring at you with those beady eyes, and general crabitat mayhem. Hermit crabs breathe through modified gills, and require that their gills be moist at all times. Therefore, the humidity of the crab tank needs to be kept high or they will slowly suffocate. Below 65% is dangerous (but above 85% promotes mold). Hermit crabs come from tropical regions, and need to stay warm. If the temperature falls below 70 degrees, they become dormant. Hermit crabs have soft, delicate abdomens, and protect them by wearing discarded shells. Hermit crabs spend much of their lives on ocean beaches, and require salt water in addition to fresh water. Finally, hermit crabs grow by molting - the process of shedding their exoskeleton and growing a new one. They require a deep, moist substrate they can bury in, a good calcium source, and high humidity to survive this difficult process.

The official Hermit Crab Association recommends the following supplies (can be found at The Hermit Shack) in order to ensure the health, happiness, and longevity of your hermit crabs:

A friend! Hermit crabs are social and will get lonely without a friend or two or ten.
    Glass aquarium or terrarium (plastic/wire cages don’t hold in warmth and humidity).
    Glass or plexi-glass cover for the aquarium to keep in humidity.
    Humidity gauge (hygrometer) to make sure the tank stays around 70-80% relative humidity.
    Temperature gauge (thermometer) to make sure the tank stays around 75-85 degrees F.
    Low-wattage (15-25W) incandescent moon-glow, night-glow bulbs or under-tank heater for heat.
    Playsand or compressed coconut fiber as a substrate, at least twice as deep as your largest crab, and kept moist. Crabs need to bury themselves to molt and relieve stress, and also for fun.
    Extra shells - at least 2 of each size needed by your crabs, with round or oval openings the same size as the big pincher - to allow them to grow up, have fun shell-shopping, and to prevent shell fights.
    Food dish filled with ethoxyquin-free/copper sulfate-free commercial crab food, fresh or dried fruits and veggies, whole grain foods, cooked egg, meat, and fish, and dried shrimp/plankton (no dairy).
    Crushed cuttlebone or calcium-sand sprinkled in the food as a calcium supplement.
    Freshwater bowl (non-metal) with a sponge (so smaller crabs don’t drown).
    Tap water conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals.
    Saltwater bowl with a sponge (to maintain the proper salinity of their internal and shell water).
    Marine salt found with saltwater aquarium supplies (not table salt, it is harmful to crabs). Additionally, the saltwater must also be dechlorinated
    Climbing toys, such as cholla wood, cork bark, coral, driftwood, and wicker baskets.
    Hiding shelters such as half-logs, caves, and coco-huts (to feel safe and relieve stress).
    Foliage such as fake plants or true terrarium moss (not Spanish/decorative moss).
    [/FONT]​
    [/FONT]

8. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

WOAH!!!!!! 6 feet???? That's HUMONGOUS!!!!:eek::D:eek::D Your hermies are going to be in a PARADISE!!! I recommend you get a plexiglass lid, like cococrisp said. Even though I'm putting a billion things on my mesh lid, the humidity is still too low. I can't wait to get a plexiglass one.

9. Hermies4Ever

But too much humidity can cause the substrate to mold, and get all smelly and disgusting!!!

10. greengreen

Bad news guys, family just bought a house, moving in about a month or so, so not the best time to buy a 6-foot tank, so I had to let it go. Bit annoying, it was perfect, and a bargain I think. So it'll be a while yet, but I'll keep my eyes open for another one like it at a better time to set one up. As for how many, 30?? that's heaps! :) I was thinking maybe 12. Maybe I'll start with a dozen and see how I go. Either way its a fair while off, so it's just dreams at the moment.
    Size-wise, I think the bigger the better, remembering that whatever you put them in will be smaller than where they came from. On the plus side, free from predators, climate-controlled, and constant food supply, can't be too bad. :) Whatever pet I get I'd want to be giving them a little paradise of their own. Oh well, spose I have time to plan it all now, which is always fun! Not to mention lots of research, of course. But planning the design is the best fun. The whole thing is going to be sand, with a little mini-beach at one end, complete with wave-maker (at least this is the plan), and some sort of dune plants (Australian natives) at the other, so I'll have to brush up on my botany. Lots of driftwood for climbing, of course. I like the natural look. Lighting will be interesting. Will have to be enough to support the live plants. I'll need to do lots of research for all this, which I can't really do now, seeing as I should be studying for exams! When they're over, I'm gonna have a ball with this project. :) My ultimate aim is to breed them in captivity, yes I know you think I'm crazy, but I will make it happen. I've been making good use of my university's subscriptions to scientific journals and done a little reading - it is definitely possible. I just want to do it cos the babies need tiny shells and how cute will that be! And it sounds like a challenge. funfunfun. Have to wait till after exams and after the move though! byebye for now everyone, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

11. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

12. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

Im to lazy to read what everyone said so I recommend getting a lid, depends on the crab you get but they can sometimes crawl out of the tank lol

13. greengreen

aww. :( I just had a look at that site, and it has factual and grammar errors. :( The 'citation' is 'hermit crabs for dummies'

I think I'll do my own reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.