1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greengreen

greengreen Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi!
    I'm new!
    I don't have hermit crabs, but I think I would like to. There is a 187cm foot tank I have my eye on.
    I live in Melbourne. (Australia)
    I have two main questions
    How many crabs could I keep in a 6 foot tank?
    Is it possible to keep humidity at a good level without a glass lid? (good level for Australian Land Hermit crabs, Coenobita variabilis)

I will, of course, have done a lot of research and have everything perfect with my tank before I even -think- of bringing hermies home, so I'll know if i can get the humidity up high enough without a glass lid anyway, but I'd like to know first if anyone has managed it, or is it pretty certain I'll need to sort out a glass lid. Remember I'm talking Australian land hermies. What is the best humidity for them? Same as for everyone else, 70-80?

anywho, hello all! :)

2. sterwick

sterwick Hi, I'm New Here!

I do not really know particularly lots about the Australian species but I have a general idea. 6 foot would fit loads of crabs!! :D My tank is about 60cmx60cmx60cm and I have five and there is plenty of space for them. So I would say 15 would be perfect. They might be a bit cramped if there is over 30. I keep PP's and have no problem with humidity and I have the tank wide open. Hermit Crabs enjoy ventilation as well as moisture. I am only guessing, but the humidity should be fine arond 80% for them. If the humidity is quite low, you could put sponges in the tank, spray the tank more often etc, if it gets really low, you may have to pour water on the substrate. If it gets that bad, that's the time to buy a glass lid! :) Coenobita variabilis is quite similar to other crabs, and there is no specific requirment that makes their care much different to any other crab.

Hope this helps. Stevo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.