1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50g day4 (not done yet, but workable)

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by shmama, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shmama

shmama Guest

Here are a few pix of my 50 gallon terrarium & 4 of the newer crabs. I ordered a really cool blue & green dragon for the center & climbers & stuff yet to arrive. This is workable for now. I also have A LOT of shell choices taking up the whole center of the tat til everyone seems settled a bit then I'll reduce the amount & hopefully find a shower caddy for some of them.
    I included day 1 arrival of Bravo & Emmett, my new PP's that are sharing the tat with 4 big straws. There is a pic of 2 of the new straws there so far too. Then there's my dragon on top to remind me to push the lid all the way back when I am done & he also guards the tat! lol... I'll post new pix as I get 'em, but here's a start anyway.
    The first one is Malaysia & Ozzy(straws), the other ones are of before & after shots of Bravo & Emmett (PPs). The other 2 larger straws are hiding at the moment.
    Some enlarge when clicked & some don't change much due to my ineptness yet with photobucket. I'm learning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

I found some pics of a few of my tanks for ya
    [img width=300 height=225]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3585/dsc02697ae7.jpg[/img]

[img width=300 height=225]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5706/dsc03399ao7.jpg[/img]

3. shmama

shmama Guest

Very Nice Vicki! I like the vinery, are those silk? I can't hang anything that will let the crabs too near the lid because it is so dang flimsy that if they try to climb on it, they will fall & maybe rip it up too. I definetly am on the lookout for something different but they are so expensive for decent lids & then to make it work with a slidable top setup, idk. Anyway, mine will look way better soon. Here's some pix of my 20g long, only I have found a bigger salt water dish so they can soak better now (that's the old one). The 2nd to the last 1 is my 10g that is needing a deep clean this week. I will post more when done. I need small shower caddies for the extra shells so I don't have to crowd out the paths between the bowls & huts. Way too crowded otherwise. The last photo is Xander emerging from his underground nap. He's like, "darn poparratzi!" lol :cya:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [img width=300 height=234]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/shmama2006/100_3513.jpg[/img]

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

I got some acrylic I used for the breeder tanks I used. Got it the thickness I needed to slip in there.

5. shmama

shmama Guest

:thanks: That's a Great Idea! BTW, the little white mug in the 20g has the amaranth seedlings in it (the quinoa seeds didn't do well, but the Amaranth is pretty red & abundant). They haven't tried eating it yet tho. I took it out to sun it while they slept today - gonna put it back in if anyone's out later tonight. I have cat grass in the big tank, no takers yet, but it's early. I also added some just slightly potent hamburger (raw) for the first time in all 3 tanks. I was reading an earlier post about it & we happen to have some that expired a couple weeks ago. Makes me wonder what the heck they add to it to keep it from spoiling sooner??? It wasn't strong smelling too bad or fading in color much yet but it was still sealed. I hate handling raw meat, so I guess chopping up the octopi would not be too appealing to me. I feel for ya! I hope the cuttle fish isn't too nasty cuz I ordered one of those. I'll just close my eyes & pray for my fingers. lol :fingerscrossed:

6. shmama

shmama Guest

:doh: ...I feed the hermies the amaranth & quinoa seeds regularly too, but wanted to see what they'd do with seedlings. I have a whole window garden of various safe seedlings now & a big beautiful house planted green bean plant that is flowering & already producing beans! That is designated for the crabbies once the beans are a bit bigger. They love frozen green beans, watch they will stick thier nose (if they had one) up at my homegrown fresh ones- lol They prefer worm poo to my cooking too! :chuckle:

7. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Your 50g is coming along nicely! The deeper water pools are great for those big boys you have, just be sure they can enter and exit them easily. I see the mess top you are talking about, it does look flimsy. Vicki's idea is a good one. Plexiglass cut to size will not only prevent them from ripping the screen and escaping, but also hold humidity better. Great job shmama, keep up the good work for your babies! :teddy01:

8. shmama

shmama Guest

Thanx! I have 3 out of 4 wood pcs now & some coral. Still waiting on the last grapevine & the Dragon (coming tomorrow-tracking it). I'm putting the natural moss in last & will be removing a couple items so the dragon fits better. Last night, I had to add a 50 watt phosphorus bulb heat lamp on the beach side because temp was at only about 76degrees & didn't seem to be going any higher, It's better now & the straws aren't being quite so lethargic now. Here are a few new pix of the Newer straws & the last 2 are of Chaos being cheesy atop the fake coral in the 20gl tank -lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

If you do the plexiglass, I learned a trick after getting mine cut. Have them make it into 2 pieces legth wise of the tank. That way when you go to get into the tank, you only need to undo half the lid. The back half can hold the light and you don't have to remove it. I took mine back after a few days and paid to have it cut again, so it wouldn't be so much of a PITA.

10. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Try some alfalfa sprouts my hermies went nuts the plant was gone in about 3 days. If you do the plexiglass lid the place vicki gets her jars from sells all sorts of plastic hinges that might make it easier to hold the two pieces together they even have ones that you put a pin in to lock it down. The tanks looking great, isnt it so much fun doing up a tank. dont it make you smile sitting back at night and all you heard is tinking against the glass as they tear up your nice tank lol. :teddy01:

11. shmama

shmama Guest

Thank you guys :thanks:
    I know the company cuz I had also ordered from them twice (jars for crab foods & my crafts), so I have a catalog from them & see that they also sell plexiglass sheets of various thicknesses. Is that a good place to get it or would it be better to contact a local place or a craft store? I have no idea, but I know that this current lid is a serious PITA! :BangHead: I found out the hard way not to try to remove it while I am on the phone cuz you need both hands to keep it from flailing around! I scared at least 3 of my crabs terribly when the lid fell in as I was trying to get it off there. I felt terrible, but they were all fine, just frightened by it. I really like the tops on my 2 smaller tanks a lot better. The 20g long lid is hinged in the middle & they are both heavy duty & use regular lid clamps, so no worries.

Are chia seeds & alfalfa sprouts the same thing? I grow those for them & they love them (especially after they are dried up, they especially like the tangled roots mixed with the worm castings).

I really appreciate your help.
    Thanks! Diane :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.