1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50 G is DONE! PIX!

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by shmama, Apr 12, 2007.

1. shmama

shmama Guest

It's finally finished! (I am still looking for one better fresh water bowltho).  My dragon arrived & it's neat.  I only wish it were a little bit heavier.  It is hollowed out inside & there is an entrance into the coils as a cave for the smaller ones, but the bigger ones can come up underneath it & look out because the bottom is open.  They haven't climbed him yet, but there are scales that stick up to make it more fun.  It was designed as a fish cavern, but this works too.  I just had to secure it  by the larger grapevine & coral to keep it down better.  The crabs didn't seem to like the last waterbowl (fresh water),  so I went with the next best one I found so far & am looking for a slightly deeper bowl.  Otherwise I'm done - YAY! 

We went back to snow & cold here again (killing all the beautiful flowers!)  I am having a bit of trouble keeping the temp up in this one even with 2 UTH & a earth phosphorus moonlight heat lamp (50 watt bulb for now).  I may have to get another uth for the sand end by next fall.  I can barely tell when the big UTH is on because I can't get my fingers under there & the plastic on the bottom of the tank is only warm once in a while. It seems like I went through this with my 20 g for about a month so it may just not be up to it's potential yet or maybe is not working quite right.  It's a 12 watt, so should be better than that.  Maybe when I get a pc of plexiglass, it will contain the heat better.  My current methods are working great for humidity levels.  Here are the pix, THANK YOU to All who gave me helpful suggestions & ideas!  It's been fun  :partyhat4:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...There is more open space then the pix portray.  I have a really cool piece  of African 2-tone hardwood as a wall so they can go to a good sized sandy corner to get away & peek through the holes in the wood like windows (which I've seen them do a few times already).  I can still see them in that corner if I peek back there.  They already have a tunnel entrance dug & they also congregate back there to chill out, it's so cute! :thanks:

2. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

I like it! Congrats on getting it done the way you like it! Glad you didn't rush it... you know what they say, haste makes waste! I like the dragons esp. the ones sitting on top, they look like crab guards.

I also have two toned African wood in my tank. It's great because it does not rot or mold.

3. shmama

shmama Guest

Thank you crabaddict!  :giverose: The crabbies seem to like it pretty well.  I have had those 2 dragon guards for a few years on top of my bookcase, but I thought they went better on top the tank.  I just hope I don't knock them off & break 'em like I did the first one I had.  The hardwood is beautiful & I was lucky to find 1 piece for $6, the rest were like $10 & higher.  It is nice & heavy!
      Our electricity went off 3 times yesterday as I was trying to boil shells & bake grapevines.  The last time it lasted about 2 hours & I was frantically trying to keep my tanks warm with towels (everything including the water pump, stove, etc. are all electric here).  I dread power outages now since I started crabbing!  It was snowing too (so much for my tulips & other flowers that were coming up), so that made it that much worse.  Now I have to get back to sorting the house all out & get ready for a big garage sale.  I sell jewelry, suncatchers, crafts & whatever I can during the summer months.  I make most myself during the winter & sell it during the summer (then I can do special orders for people too).  It works out o.k.  Not exactly a steady income but better than nothing.  I have to get back to working on myspace page where I sell from too;  Vicki is helping to get a link for it up here for me.  I'm not all that tech-savvy.  :headscratch: 
    I sure do appreciate all your help with my questions & everything!
    Now, back to my ISO to check on Sweet Pea- he hasn't moved or done anything yet,  but I just found him battered yesterday morning, so I have to give it some time.  I will pick him up in a couple days to check for smell, otherwise am trying to leave him be except to change water & stuff in the pop caps (he's pretty small).  I put in a bit of slightly damp moss for humidity & have him right up against the 10g (heater side) where he can stay warm enough.  Then I cover the air-holed lidded container over with the towel on the 10g's end panel to keep out the light.  I hope he's o.k. ,  he is so little & such a sweetie!  :fingerscrossed:
    ( I know I stink at sticking to a subject, but that's how my brain operates & I can't help it.)  :tongue3:

4. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Yay!  Looks great!  Lots of fun stuff for the crabbies to do!  :partyhat4:

I noticed the dragons on top too... I really like them! 

That really sucks about the power outages... at least you got it all done to your liking!  :thumbsup:

5. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

congrats it looks like a wonderful playground for your hermies shmama.  :partyhat4:

6. shmama

shmama Guest

:thanks: They were all up drinking pure maple syrup & climbing all over last night.  It was cool! When I got up this morning, Zamboni had changed from his too small, worn, green turbo to a pretty big, highly polished Grn/MOP new turbo, Looks Stunning & so much roomier.  The only problem was that he had decided to go into the dragon cave AFTER he went into the bigger shell as shown in photos below.  lol  He isn't stuck because I checked him & he can easily back out,  but he just likes it there I guess.  I wonder if he'll be the first to figure out that they can tunnel up from underground & come up inside the cave where he can easily fit?  That will be so great!  :hareiam:

I am uploading some pix now to put on here shortly....

7. shmama

shmama Guest

...the saga continues! Malaysia went & ran off with Zamb's original shell while I was watching, Zamb came after her but he hit the ground when I walked up with the camera.  I got some good pix of the situation.  I put 2 new big shells that I had ready & Zamb stopped to inspect those. Then he went back after eating & stuck his head in the cave again. lol What a nut!  ...pix didn't come out in the order I tried to put them, but I have one of Mala in her old shell & a pic of the empty larger shell that was Zamb's, then Mala in that shell with Zamb behind her .... It was so funny to watch!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

I am sure that your hermies are lovin' it!!! :love10: