1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.6 Earthquake

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by vckums, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

About 8pm we had a 5.6 earthquake. We're all ok. 2 youngest were boohooey but that's it. The house seems fine as usual. We've had bigger quakes and no damage. *knocks on wood*

Update we got no phone service. Landline or cell LOL but I got internet, go figure

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

MILPITAS, Calif. -- The U.S. Geological Survey is reporting that a 5.6 earthquake centered in the Alum Rock area of San Jose struck the Bay Area at approximately 8:04 p.m. Tuesday night.

The quake's epicenter in the South Bay was some nine miles northeast of San Jose's city hall.

The KTVU Channel 2 newsroom received calls from all over the Bay Area inquiring about the earthquake. Bay residents as far away as Danville and San Carlos reported feeling the tremor.

So far there are no reports of damage or injuries.

3. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Oh wow! Glad to hear you're all OK chick. Any aftershocks? Keep us posted :hug2:

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Nothing yet..still early. It lasted a loooooooong time though. It started out as up and down, and then moved side to side. I can handle the up and down but the side swaying makes me nauseas(spelling?).

I was outside watering and it made my chair go up and down. Then I heard Hubby and his friend inside go WTH was that? ( mind you they both grew up here so they have been through many) and I go Duh earthquake. Went out front and our new neighbor was freaking out. Apparently he's never been through one before and had no idea what it was. Poor guy, he goes "So it's ok to go back to bed now?" :hahahaha: Yup, go to bed.

5. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

I don't know how you guys out on the West coast deal with them... they are scarey as heck. I was in a 6.8 in Europe when I was 16 and it scared the hell outta me. We had one here in NY back in the 80's, but it wasn't anything too crazy... it threw me out of bed tho.

6. Amie91280

Amie91280 "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Wow chick, I'm glad youre safe! I felt about a 4.2 when we lived in Alaska and that was scary, I can't imagine one over 5.0

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

They are so rare, the ones we feel, that it doesnt bother me. We do have htem daily, but usually ones we can't feel. Id rather have the occasional earthquake then tornadis and hurricanes every year. They last only a few seconds and it can be years inbetween.

Havent felt any aftershocks, but usually we don't. Thanks guys! :huggies:

8. crabbycrazy2

crabbycrazy2 "Second Molt, A Success"

WOW! I thought about you last night when I heard it on the news. I'm glad every one is okay, and no damage. They are scary! Here in VA. where I've grown up all my life, we had one a few yrs. back. It wasn't a big one. I don't remember the strength, (could have been 2-3.0) It was enough to shake some pictures and a watt-knot off the mantel. The storm windows rattled to no end. It scared the tar out of me. I've never experienced one before! After it was over, I was like WTH was that! Everyone around the community was calling ea. other asking questions! We thought it was the government's rocket plant near by that had exploded! I think that's what scares people the most is knowing after something like that, no matter how safe you think you are, your NOT! Force of Nature can reach you anywhere, anytime! Only the Grace of God keeps you safe! :rockon:

9. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Are you ready to move here yet? :sarcastic: I am glad my chickie poo is ok- I did not hear about it til just now- so glad you keep me abreast of things!

I have the base sending us earthquakes all the time- it ticks me off :aargh: stupid drills..........

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hermz are you kididng me? Id take an earthquake over what keeps finding its way into your house LOL I l ike you, dont likey the creepy crawlies you got there!

Didnt feel anything during the night. Checking the house outside after we drop kids off.

11. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

But but but its just a couple of critters!

12. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

:eek:mg: Those things scare me somthing awful!!! I remember seeing those pics & TV footage of the big quake that hit San Fran years ago, and have been fearful of quakes ever since! Glad to hear that no one was hurt, and that the family is safe & well.

~~~~Runs off to buy beach-front property in Nevada~~~~

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

LOL Kathy!

That was a good sized quake you mentioned Kathy. The houses that were on tv in SF were built on sediment. No surprise they fell and got destroyed. Can't build stuff on sand and expect it to not fall in an earthquake. They have retro-fitted the freeways and bridges, although I wont drive over that one bridge unless I have no choice.

This house has been lucky, nothings ever happened to it in an earthquake. My Grandma lives in SF and the most she's had happen is cabinets fly open and stuff come out of them (cans, jars etc).

They keep saying the San Andreas fault line is going to have the big one. I'm not sure what the big one is sized as, but should it happen my city is where the San Andreas fault line starts. Our police department is housed right on top of it. BART (our train system) runs right on top of it so many would not be able to get home or to work. They've been saying this for years though, that we will get the big one. I jsut knock on wood it's not as bad as they make it out to be and that we are ok should it happen.

14. vckums

vckums Moderator

Watched the news and we've had about 30 aftershocks. Never felt one. See how common they are. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.