1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 new crabs, pps?

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by rohawkj, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

Thanks Scoobdoo, but this is my 4th crab. I originally got started last Sept. when I brought home Marley from the beach. He has done very well. As soon as I got home searched internet and found out the gravel they give you at the beach and water is not all they need!

So I got a large glass bowl and started until I could get an aquarium. Long story short, I have sand in bottom, coconut fiber in top, mixed in with that in my aquarium. Marley has molted and did fine, but my other two died during molting. I guess thats why I'm terrified of my new one, squirt, molting already. Thanks for your reply.

:hula:

Debbie

2. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

he won't necessarily molt because he is digging. Does he look like he needs to molt? (worn out nails on legs, lack of hair follicles) Hope he does ok! =)

3. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

Thanks LordRhal,
    The funny thing is, Marley, who just molted is not hairy at all. His nails are sharp and he is a pretty color. Squirt is very hairy and he is not ashy like coconut was before he molted. Maybe it is pps and he needs to de-stress. I put shrimp in for them last night but it doesn't look like its been touched. As with everything with them, I guess its just "wait and see".

Debbie

:noidea:

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I wonder whether Marley may not have molted if he wasn't hairy...but, one can never be sure of molting unless you see it happen sometimes. As for your little guy not being ashy or showing any classic premolt signs...my guys rarely look ashy before molting, and generally always have sharp nails and hairs right before molting. Not every crab displays premolt symptoms at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.