1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 new crabs, pps?

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by rohawkj, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rohawkj

rohawkj "Never Molted"

Hi! well some of you may have seen a picture of one of my crabs i posted in the 'say cheese', but i have not seen any of my crabs now for 2 days.. i have only had them a week now. could it be that all of them are moulting right away? that didnt seem plausible to me. i knew that they would be distressing, and i dont have an ISO tank, so they all went right into the main tank. 2 the first day, one a day later, and another three days later. last night i set some spinach, cucumber and tomato around 10pm and it was untouched at 7am. i dont smell anything rotting, so are they just hibernating or what? i hope not moulting; i read that crabs that moult in the first 30 days after coming home only have a 20% chance or so of survival. goes way up to 95% after 60 days or so i think it said. i'm just a little worried, and tank looks like a great habitat for the three roly polys in there. who has pet roly polys? lol. i wanna see my crabs :)

2. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

I think 20% is kinda too low. I've brought home 14 crabs and about half went down to molt in the next few days after being in the tank and they are all ok. They could still be destressing, don't worry, I was anxious at first as well but once they get used to their new environment, they will be happy campers =)

3. rohawkj

rohawkj "Never Molted"

http://naturallycrabby.com/home///b...ps-post-purchase-stress-minimizing-the-impact

heres a quote "Let's hope they don't have to for that first 30 day period. In my experience, molters that were new to my tanks suffered the greatest proportion of death! Death resulted 80% more then, than at any other time in my entire 6 year run!! The second month was a bit better at 30% death ratio, but after that it has (at least for me) been less than a 3% chance (at a 50 headcount) after 60 days."

in that article they talk about transitioning your crabs to minimize pps.. wish i had a full second tank setup for this purpose. i have a 10 gal but a little to late to 'phase' them in at this point.

4. rohawkj

rohawkj "Never Molted"

if they are all 4 stressed that bad i hope i didnt hurt them more than helping them. they went straight into 75% humidity after i dont know like 50% probably at the store. there was no lid or anything there, just like a big sandbox. i picked the liveliest ones there and now they seem less happy than in the store even though their home is better suited for them.

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Well number one they are now in conditions more in accordance with their nature. Hermit crabs love to bury and tunnel. When you got them home did you give them a bath and check for mites?

I wouldn't be too concerned for them right now. It's important that they de-stress, and they do that by going into a safe, dark place where they can chill and be hidden from predators (just as in the wild). Make sure you have good food and calcium and both de-chlorinated fresh water and de-chlorinated marine salt water like is used in salt water tanks. Shells are a must too.

When a crab goes down, he isn't always molting, but doing what comes naturally in the wild. Even though he appeared spunky in the tank at the Pet store, he didn't have any other choice. In your tank he will think he is in paradise! Some may molt because they haven't had the right conditions where they were before.

When I ISO a new crab, my temp and humidity ranges between 72*-76*. In my home tank it ranges between 74*-80*.
    Just be patient and don't disturb them and give them time to acclimate to their new home. :flower:

6. rohawkj

rohawkj "Never Molted"

i did give them a bath and let them dry before i put them in the tank. i did not see any mites floating in the bath water. i have a 6500k daylight spectrum bulb on from 7am-8pm. they do have fresh and salt water, food and treat from the pet store. i set out some fresh veggies last night but no one ate any. so they must be sleeping hard :) the temp in the tank is steady all day at 73 and humidity usually around 75 although it drops to 70 sometimes and spikes sometimes to 90. still trying to figure out the exact amount of lid i need open to keep it constant. but heck yea its paradise to the pet store. i got all my crabs from the same place, an earthbound trading co store. i guess we will see how long it takes for them to wake up! for 3 of my crabs i havent seen them in 3 days. been 2 days since i saw floyd last too. :(

7. Mckenny

Sounds great. You may want to get them off the commercial food though. There's something in there that makes them addicted to the food, which isn't good for them. Look on the main menu and check out nutrition...lots of foods in there that are safe for the hermies. Vckums store is fantastic...you'll love it there! (Addiction Store, under other sites on the left hand side under the shout box).

8. rohawkj

rohawkj "Never Molted"

yea i offer them the commercial food at the moment, but every night i offer fresh veggies or fruit, even some brown oak leaves and a couple roly polys in there now. i got the food they were being fed at the store but maybe i can ween them off it it

9. Mckenny

Sounds like a plan...it all takes time to get it all together. Hopefully they'll be up and about for you soon. :flower:

10. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

As you take them off the commercial food, you'll need to give them fresh/dried meat and calcium daily. Any meat's safe, as long as it's not seasoned and is cooked (to lower the chances of having bacterial infections or shellfish infections for your crabs). You can buy jars of dried shrimp, bloodworms, and all sorts of other bug-type stuff at the pet store in the fish/reptile food area. As long as the ingredients show only what the jar advertises is in it, it's safe. For calcium, eggshells work great (I've heard that brown shells are a hit with crabs; I'll be trying that out here later this week) and so do cuttlebones (in the bird section of the pet store).

11. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

rohawkj, I have about 30 rolly pollys(Pill bugs, wood lice, ect.) in my tank!

12. rohawkj

rohawkj "Never Molted"

haha nice. sometimes they are the only thing i see. its like i have a huge rolly polly exhibit lol

13. imported_Eric

imported_Eric (Small Crab)

That's cool... I'm considering getting a couple now :p

14. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

do you find they make a difference? where do you get them, from your yard?

15. rohawkj

rohawkj "Never Molted"

i got them out of the yard yes. well i have not seen a difference yet, its only been a couple days and theres only 3. but i read that they eat the leftover crab food and then the crabs eat the dead roly polys.

16. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

I read that too.

17. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

NEW CRAB

Ok, I got a new crab, Squirt, checked him for mites, then put him in with Marley. He dug down about an inch, is he going to molt or just de-stressing?

Debbie

18. Mckenny

Congrats on the new crab! New crabs need to de-stress and will usually bury for a while. This gives them a chance to acclimate to your tank conditions and realize that they are safe. :flower:

19. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

Squirt stayed down overnight, came up, found him in the coconut hut. After I checked on him, he dug down again and I haven't seen him today. Marley, however has decided to change shells and is in one just like squirt so now I have to look really close to see who it is!

:think:
    Debbie

20. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

all mine, well all 3 that I have when I brought them home hit the water{s} a lot and ate like they were starving. Then they would just hide off and on, like you said yours is doing, I wouldn't handle them for a while so they get used to the tank, don't be surprised if they do go and molt on you soon, mine did. It was like after 2 weeks after I bought them they went down and was down for over 2 months! don't bother them if they go under, it will stress them more and they can die from it! Big mistake I did to one of mine!
    I'm new to this site, but had mine for a yr now did a lot of research on the care and I'm still learning new things about the care general things about them. if this is first set of crabs I would go to the care forum on here. congrats on your crabs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.