1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 New Babies

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Hermies4Life, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

Okay so the day before yesterday i went to petsmart for some things and i came back with some more bedding, a 10 gallon tank,more salt water, a tamp and humidity gauge, two water bowls,and 4 NEW BABIES! I was looking in the hermit crab tank that they have (they have pretty good conditions actually) and the lady asked me if i would like to look at them then she asked if i had any hermits before.And so i told her that I had 2 hermit crabs in a 35 gallon tank and so she asked whatsize they were andi said smallish. So she said that it was a good idea to get more hermies about the same size as my hermies and to monitor the hermies because the bigger oned might want to pick on the smaller ones.

i swear I like picked up all of the hermit crabs in that tank. so i picked out 2 mediums and 2 smallishes i named one Hudini already because he escaped from the cup i had to carry them home in 2ice.

They are all PP's and very active. :) i cant wait to introduce them to the main tat :) i will get pictures soon but hudini is already buried.

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Congrats on your new additions! :)

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Congrats!!! What are the other namess?

4. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

um lol i havent named them yet lol. So if anyone has any name ideas i would be like foreer grateful lol :)

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Congrats! I find it funny when pet store people say to watch out because bigger crabs will pick on smaller ones...whereas in reality, the similarly sized ones will be the only ones to fight because they want to steal shells...what would a big one do with a little one? Seriously...

6. MissHaze

MissHaze "Never Molted"

Congrats! You make me want to go get more, but my 20g is crowded with six already, so I want to get another tat to set up, but my husband wants me to wait until they are all done molting...that could take forever! *sigh* LOL

7. emmac350

Yeah, waiting to get more is the worst. I'd love to get more but the husband doesn't want me to buy any more (unless I find like the tiniest crabs ever, in which case I would totally buy all of them so long as they're smaller than my Slightly who's in a .25" opening shell), so I'm stuck with adopting. I watch Craigslist like a hawk, and I'm a registered adopted over at the CrabStreetJournal adoption forum, so I'm trying to be patient. It is hard, though.

I'm also trying to tell myself that my tank can't fit too many more crabs - I have 1 medium, 1 small, and 6 tinies in a 30g tall tank. I have 3 different upper levels (shower caddy in one corner and this nifty thing my husband made out of those pencil holder boxes on the other side, plus a cholla log going from sand level to topmost level and a hemp bridge I made and a hemp climbing mat in the back) so I probably could fit at least a few more, but then I have to think about the fact that my tinies molt often and so grow quickly. :( I want so many more crabs than I have!

8. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

That is nothing! I waited MONTHS before I named jumbo and finally came of with an Oh-so-creative name like that lol.:rolleyes: Congrats on the new crabs! 6 is probably a good number for a 35 gallon tank but make sure you ISO them first. Maybe you could name them gunk, sunk and unk. So that they could be funk gunk sunk and unk! People would think you were crazy. Gunk is not a very appealing name. Cute little gunk.:rolleyes:

9. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

LOL! :D And maybe punk if that fits anybody's personality. And don't you have a hermie named Anna too? Maybe one of the new ones could be Banana.

10. emmac350

Look for names in some of your favorite books or TV shows - that's how I've named mine so far. I don't know what I'll do with any new ones I might get eventually...I've already used Veggietales and Peter Pan...maybe I'll name them after characters in Sarum. That was a great book...

11. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

How about Honeydew, or Jellybean???

12. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

If they are low on protein and calcium they might be canaballs.

13. emmac350

True, they could, but I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. The crab would have to be starving, have not eaten protein/calcium in months, and have a molt coming up for that to happen, I'd think. Maybe not, I know some crabs are just more aggressive no matter what you do with them, but still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.