1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

???

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by victoria, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victoria

victoria "Preparing For First Molt"

Do I use wire-mesh for a lid or glass?

2. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

I use both, because the wire mesh keeps the crabs from getting loose, but the glass keeps in the humidity. I put the aquarium lid on top of the wire mesh and leave a bit of room for the air to circulate. Then depending on what my humidity gage says I adjust the glass top.

3. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

If you use glass only, just make sure you can secure the lid somehow so the little buggars don't escape;) Mesh lids do not hold the humidity in your tank. I have a mesh lid, but I had to wrap it in saran wrap. For my new 29 gallon tank, I went to the home improvement store and bought a piece of plexi glass and some small hinges. I used hot glue to secure the hinges to the edge of the tank and the other half of the hinges to the plexiglass and voila!....a lid at a fraction of the pet store cost. I paid about $2.47 for each piece of plexiglass.

4. victoria

What is saran wrap?

5. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

thin plastic wrap for food. Kind of sticks to itself but is not sticky...like foil but plastic.

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

"Saran Wrap" is a name brand plastic wrap....kind of like calling a tissue a "Kleenex"....;)

7. CrabbyAbby

CrabbyAbby (Micro Crab)

Glad Press n' Seal clings incredibly well also.

8. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

I use an aquarium fish hood for mine. O_O...
    Well, actually, for one half I use an aquarium fish hood, the other is a 24 inch hood made for reptiles (I can screw in 2 bulbs and 1 fluorecent light) + aquarium glass.
    Although, I used to just use an aquarium hood in my 20G days. It worked really well :).

9. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I got a glass lid, which works very well. It's easier to control the humidity because you can just vent the top. I put my lights on one side of the top, so I can still open the other part. On my tank with the plastic mesh top I have to take the light off and put it on the floor - a real pain.

10. victoria

Can I use plastic wrap?

11. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

You can use plastic wrap. As others have said, it's inexpensive and does a good job.

One thing I did with the mesh lid, mostly for overnight when I wouldn't be disturbing the crabitat at all, was cut out cardboard (thick, like from packing boxes) to exactly match the top. I then covered it in aluminum foil, to keep the moisture and heat in. What I liked about this method was that I cut a few different size pieces, so If I wanted a little air in, I could use this piece, if I wanted more air in, I could use that piece.

Is this making sense? I know what I'm trying to say, but I think I'm not saying it quite right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.