1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 new crabs to 2 and back to3 and a missing crab in action (mcia)

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by crabmania, Jan 6, 2010.

1. crabmania

crabmania "Never Molted"

Hey guess what! I got three crabs from petco! One big one ( named Bigmac) a little one (green)named Cucumber and a little purple one not named ( because he acted ill :sad4: and I didnt want to get attached to it) the next day bigmac, cucumber, Eugenia, and bob were all together getting along just fine. But sadly the purple one had died. So we returned it and got antother one and named him eggplant!

Ok, I need your guys help. my sister, Annas pet hermi is missing. :oops: ( this was at 11 oclock @ nite :bed:) so we checked the cage and even took all the sand out. She was not there. Do you guys know:
    A. How long a crab can live without food or water
    B. Do you have ANY idea on where it could be? :couch:
    c. Do you know anything that would attract the mcia? :tuna:

Thanks!  :happy10:      :twirl:                    p.s Try crabi races they are really fun!

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Put a bowl with ocean water on the floor on top of aluminum foil when you go to sleep. You'll hear the crab's legs on the foil and can put it away.

3. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

imported_xAiZaOnigirix (Large Crab)

yeah, what Emma said. put some food there, too. You might have a better chance of finding them if you place some sort of hidie on the foil, so even if you don't wake up(if he comes when you're sleeping), they might be in the hidie, so maybe take out his favorite place to hide from the cage. I'd suggest setting this "trap" in a darker part of your room- near corners, spaces between bookshelves, etc. Try to keep the door of the room closed and the crack underneath blocked, and get someone to tip/gently move bureaus to see if the crab is behind them. Check the tank again; it took twice for me to find my hermie!! good luck!

P.S. how long they live depends on their environment. There has been reports of people finding their crabs months later and they were still alive! but that is less likely if  food and water isn't provided or they have access to dangerous/toxic things to them. no spraying perfume!

4. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Put multiple peices of tin foil out, too. When i still had Willow the trouble maker, I found her once walking twoard my bedroom door!

5. crabmania

crabmania "Never Molted"

Thanks 2 u all but ive got another problem! Were we sleep is in the back part of the house ( ITS seperated by a door) becaause our dogs and cats dont get along. We lost her in the front and we sleep in the back! And the back is really cold in winter! Please do u have any more ideas?

Thanx gina

6. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Can you leave the door open? If so, you can put the food/salt water in your room. Your crab will smell it, I promise - they smell food and salt water much farther away in the wild.

7. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

I have heard that they love (organic) Peanut butter and coconut, so you could add that to your 'trap'.

Because they are cold-blooded, they can go much further without food than warm-blooded animals (basicly because it takes a lot of energy to sustain a constant blood temperature) and therefore they can go quite long without food- we for example can go without food for three weeks and obviously we're warm blooded. Death from cold and low humidity is a quite gradual process, so the main worry is the dog and cat, and any chemicals. Hope that helps with A.

B: It probably hasn't traveled too far- I'm guessing it's going to be in the same room as where you lost it. It's probably hidden somewhere so it's not out in the open. So look for places you think may be good hiding places. Make a number of traps in different rooms.

8. crabmania

crabmania "Never Molted"

:thanks:

9. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

Your welcome.