1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 new babies!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Itsy, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

Ok i got three new hermies 1 straw and 2 E's now my tank is up to 13 little guys. My straw looks like a little candy cane no bigger then a penny. My two new E's well i think there e's they may be rugs. But anyways one is kinda a tanish brown and the other is kinda a bluish white. Ill take some pics tomorrow and put them up so you guys can take a look and tell me. Anyways there about the size of a quarter. There roudy little guys well the E's/rugs are they just keep going like the energizer bunny. I also just put a second level in with reptile moss. Aswell as i just got them a half log hidey put new netting in. I just got a coconut mat Pandora just loves it! shes been sitting at the top of the tank on the cocomat since i put it in there. Boy and my new straw are hiding behind my cocohut and hidey vine since i redid the tank. There all so adorable im so happy i got them!

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Do you have all 13 in your 25 gallon? Just my opinion, but that's a lot. I can't remember if you ever mentioned upsizing (although I could be wrong :) ), but with that many, it would be worth it.

3. Itsy

7 small, 1 jumbo, 1 medium, 4 large, yes i know i need a new tank but im not able to get one for a month or two atleast, im planning on upgrading to a 40gallon long which is 206$ up here tanks arnt as cheap up here as they are in the states a 10 gallon is about 60$ and i managed to get a 25gallon for 30$ so im counting my lucky stars that all will be ok. Aswell as im dishin out 400$ for me to get surgery next month. But the way i see it is there not crowded into that 10 gallon with 100 other crabs with the tank vitals at 40%/ and 90degrees. There in good conditions with sand not graval they have hiding spots, unchlorinated water and they always have water, the vitals in my tank are 80% 73degrees so its better then what they were living in before and not even close to being as cramped.

4. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

i wish i could find some small straws. all the stores around here only have jumbo straws. nothing smaller. i'm goin' tonight to pick up 2-3 teenies or smalls, hopeing that they cleaned the tank out and got ride of the small spiders that made a home in the hc tank, i was like, man i wish i could take all yall home with me but i don't have room, so i'm atleast getting 2-3, so i'll feel better.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Msdiamonddog is right, you are overcrowded. It may be better then the pet store but they will not thrive in your tank. And that's what we all want for our crabs, is to thrive and be healthy. Just think, they travel miles daily in the wild. They need to be able to explore and get exercise, and it doesn't seem they can in your tank right now.
    So until your finances improve and you can get a bigger tank(because of the Straw and Jumbo need alot of space) please don't get any more crabs.
    Also since you said your tank is 73 degrees, thats way too low for a straw. You need to bump it way up. I am glad you finally got some substrate too.

6. Itsy

Im getting a reptile light heater on friday and never mind that i have another 2 new levels in my tank now 1 with reptile moss the other with EE im planning on putting another level in on friday and they have alot of space im using almost the whole 25 gallons aswell as i have 3 nets spread out through the tank 2 cocomats all sorts of hiding spots i cant even find alot of my crabs ive made so many hideys. Who are you guys to judge me you havent seen my tank. Aswell im doing the best i can. Yes my crabs are thriving if they werent thriving and healthy they wouldnt be molting be active and very social. Im doing better then they are at the pet store and on friday im also setting up my 10 gallon and moving some of my crabs into there. So dont judge until you know the whole story, Im doing better then i was before my crabs are happy and i will buy crabs when i want as many as i want atleast i know if they die in the future they didnt die in no shit hole!

7. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Itsy, I notice that when people reply to you with advice, you get defensive. We are just commenting on what you are telling us. 13 crabs is too many for a 25 gallon. You will, in the end, do as you feel right anyway, but in the meantime, there is nothing wrong with people giving their opinions. That is what the site is for ... we are looking out for the best interest of our crabs and there is no need to act as you do. Lighten up. You are always the one advocating that this site is friendly ... listen to your own words.

8. Itsy

Look im sorry im just stressed out really bad i dont mean to take it out on anyone but sometimes i tend to and i apologize ive just been really sick and alot of other things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.